Chapter Twelve

"We like to think that we are rational beings; humane, conscientious, civilized, thoughtful. But when things fall apart, even just a little, it becomes clear we are not better than animals. We have opposable thumbs, we think, we walk erect, we speak, we dream, but deep down we are still routing around in the primordial ooze; biting, clawing, scratching out an existence in the cold, dark world like the rest of the tree-toads and sloths. There's a little animal in all of us and maybe that's something to celebrate. Our animal instinct is what makes us seek comfort, warmth, a pack to run with. We may feel caged, we may feel trapped, but still as humans we can find ways to feel free. We are each other's keepers, we are the guardians of our own humanity and even though there's a beast inside all of us, what sets us apart from the animals is that we can think, feel, dream and love. And against all odds, against all instinct, we evolve" 

"i'm helpless, down for the count and i'm drowning in 'em"

Holly was sleeping on a gurney in the tunnels. Lucy and Alex were sleeping on the bottom bunk bed in the on call room.

Holly was woken up by her pager and she ran off. Lucy and Alex's pagers both went off and Lucy woke up but Alex didn't. She kissed his forehead but ran off.

Cristina, Lucy, Izzie, Holly and Meredith all ended up in the same hallway, all headed to the same destination. They proceeded to walk faster. Lucy bumped into Izzie, making her fall.

Izzie, Holly, Meredith, Cristina and Lucy saw Rose and Derek laughing and walking at the other end of the hall. They started trash-talking Rose to cheer Meredith up. George came over. "What did you do to your hair?" he asked Izzie. "Yeah, I wasn't gonna ask but...", Lucy said. "I know you're trying to make me feel better, but the pausing just gives me a better shot to win", Meredith said. Meredith rushed off followed by Izzie, Holly, George, Cristina and Lucy.

Alex came rushing in and approached Lucy. "Why didn't you wake me?" he asked her. "Because you were sleeping", she replied. They all put on trauma gowns.

Kelly and Beck stood at the nurses station. "You know what I think?" Kelly said.

"What?"

"I'm not spontaneous enough. I've never left the house, not knowing where I'm gonna end up that night. I've never walked into a bar, not knowing who I'm gonna go home with that night, because I'd probably end up going home early and watching reruns of sex and the city at 3am with a tub of ice cream"

"So, are you saying you want to have casual sex?"

"No, I'm saying I need casual sex"

"Okay, let me see, how about Mark Sloan?"

"Let me see, how about no?"

"Oh come on, he's a man whore, he has no emotional depth, there's no possibility of you getting attached and he's hot. Plus, hasn't he been trying to get into your pants ever since you got here"

"I guess"

"Then, go for it, get yours"

"What, now?"

"Yes, now, or else you'll never do it. Go"

Kelly approached Mark. "Hi, so, I wanted to run something by you. A proposition of sorts", she said.

"Go on"

"So, I was thinking, you don't want a relationship, I'm looking for some fun, meaningless, casual sex. What do you say?"

"You want to have sex with me?"

"Yes"

"What about Derek?"

"I'll try to let him down gently"

He glared at her.

"I'm not gonna tell him. Come on, Mark, give me one good reason not to do this"

"You couldn't handle it"

"Maybe you're the one who couldn't handle it"

"I guess we'll have to find out"

"I guess so"

They lay in the on-call room bed. "Wow, not too bad for my first venture into casual flings", Kelly said. "Wait, you've never had casual sex before?" he asked.

"Nope"

"How many people have you had sex with?"

"One, not including you"

"What?"

"I played it safe in college, whatever"

"So when is the last time you had sex?"

"Why, was I bad?"

"No, just a little out of practice is all"

"Oh my god, I was really bad, wasn't I?"

"Look, it'll get better with time. How about later tonight?"

"Sounds good"

hope you enjoyed! comment your opinions! song is helpless from hamilton the musical