Chapter Sixteen

"My mother used to say that for a surgeon, a day without death is a rare gift. Every day we face death. Every day we lose life. And every day, we're hoping for a stay of execution. We're attached to death. Chained, like prisoners. Captives" 

"there's a boy here in town, says he'll love me forever, who would've thought forever could be severed by the sharp knife of a short life"

Alex was in the kitchen cooking breakfast for Lucy, who sat at the table staring straight ahead. Izzie walked in. "Alex, she doesn't look so good", she said. "She's fine", he said, placing the eggs in front of Lucy and putting the fork in her hand. "I'm gonna stay at home with her, can you cover my patients?" he said to Izzie.

Kelly bumped into Mark in the ER where a big trauma was coming in. "Oh, hi", she said awkwardly. "What's up with you? You're acting weird", he said.

"Big trauma coming in, just preparing"

She walked away and he sighed as he watched her retreating figure.

Alex sat down on the couch next to Lucy who was watching a movie. "What'd I miss?" he asked. She started crying. "What happened?" he asked. "I wet my pants", she said tearfully.

"That's okay"

"I'm sorry"

"It's okay"

He kissed her forehead before taking her to clean up.

Aurora found George doing research. "Did you hear about the guy trapped in a block of cement?" George asked. "Oh my god", she replied, getting excited.

"They don't want interns in there"

"Damn"

"I apparently have this supposed power. I should be able to do more, but I'm stuck running labs and doing research in the hope someone will ask me a question. I have fake power. I can go into Webber's office at any point, I could look at the confidential files, but the chief knows I won't because I have fake powers. It would make me feel better if I knew there was a point to all this"

Lucy was in the shower. "I'm going to go get you some clean clothes, okay?" Alex said. She didn't respond. Alex went to check on her. She was sitting in the tub, letting the water come down on her. "I don't understand, I was pregnant", she said. Alex climbed into the tub and rubbed her shoulders. "You lost the baby, it happens. It'll be okay", he said.

George was paged to the supply closet where he found Aurora, resident files spread out in front of her. "What did you do? We have to get these back to the chief's office now!" he exclaimed.

"I read them all, I couldn't stop, and the information is burned into my brain"

"I don't want to know"

"You failed your intern exam by one point"

He looked like he was about to say something before his phone rang. "It's Holly", he said. He answered it and his jaw dropped. "What?!" he shouted. 

Aurora got out of the shower and went into her bedroom where Josh stood, looking angry. "Josh, are you okay?" she asked him. He held up her phone which had missed calls from George. "Who's George?" he asked angrily. 

"George is my friend, Josh, remember?"

"Stop lying!"

He slammed her phone on to the bed, making her flinch. "Josh, you're scaring me", she whispered. 

"You know what's scary? My girlfriend, lying to me"

"I'm not cheating on you, Josh, I promise. I only want you"

"How can I believe you? This isn't gonna work out, Aurora"

"Josh, what are you talking about?"

"We're done"

"No, please! Don't go! Please, Josh!"

"I'm sorry"

*TRIGGER WARNING*

Alex was making sandwiches for him and Lucy. "Can I have mayo?" she asked. "See, that's good, you have an appetite", he said, before starting to slice a tomato. His phone rang. "I'll be right back", he said before leaving the room. She stared at the large knife on the chopping board. She grabbed it. "Lucy!" Alex yelled. She sliced her wrist with it. "Lucy!" he yelled again, dropping his phone. The bloody knife fell from her hand. 

hope you enjoyed! comment your opinions! song is if i die young by the glee cast. it is originally by the band perry