New Coach

I walked down the icy side walk with Connie towards our 'rink'. Basically just a frozen over pond we use to play hockey on. "How are you and Guy?" I asked as we sat on a bench to put our skates on. "There is no 'me and Guy'. How many times do I have to tell you that,
Scarlett." Connie laughed, and we stood up skating onto the pond. "If you say so." I shrugged skating towards Charlie.

"Hey, Spaz-way." I circled around him as I watched him take shots at Goldberg. "Hey, Scar." He looked up and hit the puck into the goal. "Be careful, man. It almost hit me that time!" Goldberg exclaimed taking off his helmet.

"You've got to be kidding me. It's supposed to hit you, idiot!" I yelled to him. "You're the goalie it's supposed to hit you." Charlie sighed shaking his head. "Does that sound stupid to anyone else?" He threw his hands up in the air. "No Goldberg. That's literally the whole point of a goalie." I said as everyone started to pile around something.

I skated over with Charlie and we saw a limo drive out on the ice. Everyone was looking at each other as asking questions. "Yo, dude. You obviously in the wrong hood. This is my dominion. This is a drug-free zone, you understand? We ain't buyin' nothin'. I'm feeling generous today. So imma let you get your sorry vanilla booty outta here before we be usin' your eyeballs as hockey pucks." Jesse said to the man in a suit who just stepped out of the back of the limo.

"Thanks, bro, but I'm not going home till I take care of business." He said reaching into his suit.

"He's got a gun."

"Stand back."

"Chill out guys. This dude doesn't look the type to carry a gun. Look at him, he's dressed in a suit and he's got shined shoes." I laughed as the man sent me a glare.

The group let out relived breaths as he pulled out a piece of paper instead of a gun. "Told ya." I looked back at my team. "District Five Pee Wee hockey team. I'm Gordon Bombay. I'm the new coach." He said making us all laugh.

"What a joke."

"Yeah, right."

"No way."

"Afraid so, dude. Got the roster right here. Averman, Dave.
Conway, Charlie.
Anderson, Scarlett.
Hall, Terry. " He read of the piece of paper.

"He is the new coach!"

"Listen, I hate hockey and I don't like kids." He said looking around at all of us.

"Great pep talk...coach." I raised my eyebrows trying not to laugh. "Look, I'm sure this'll be a read bonding experience. Maybe one day, one of you will even write a book about it in jail."

"Is there a goalie?" We all moved back to reveal Goldberg. "Uh, only for a little while. I'm moving back to Philly." Goldberg lied as we laughed. "Yeah, like that'll happen." I muttered.

"Thank you for sharing that."

"No problem."

"Alright, get out on the ice. Let me see what you can do."

"Uh, just so you know we really suck." Averman and I stayed back as the team skated back out. "I'll decide who sucks around here." Gordon said and Averman looked at me. "Like really suck." I mumbled as we skated away.

Everyone fought to get the puck and then fell in a pile causing the puck slip out. So, I, being the only one who can actually skate, took the puck and shot it in the goal.

Connie went to talk to Bombay so I went with her. "Oh look, it's Scarlett. Speedy-Scarlett, Speaky-Scarlett, ooh Scary-Scarlett." Averman said as we skated by. "Shut it, Averman." I pushed him onto the ground and skated passed him. "Ouch."

I've got a lot of nicknames. Speedy is because they all think I'm the fastest skater here, speaky is because I always say whatever I'm thinking, and scary is because I guess I can be intimidating at times. Sometimes they call me sneaky because I can steal the puck without people noticing. And Averman basically just added my name to all those words.

"Hi coach, I'm Connie, that's Scarlett. Do you play?"

"No. So what's our record anyway?"

"0 and 9. One was pretty close though, Scarlett almost scored a goal before she got checked by a guy half her size."

"Not my proudest moment." I admitted looking down.

"We only lost by five." Connie nodded sadly.

"So what do we do now...coach?" Jesse said sassily as the team skated up to us. "What did your old coach have you do?" Bombay asked us. "He pretty much just yelled all the time." I shrugged.

"That's how he hurt his arm."

"His arm?"

"He didn't hurt his arm. You bozos gave him a heart attack." I rolled my eyes after correcting them for the millionth time.

"Yeah, one minute he's yelling at us, 'Little bastards, where'd you learn to play? Oh, you suck. Skate you little bast'-" and Peter fell to the ground pretending he was dead.

"Heart attack, great." Gordon responded flatly.

"They make it seem like he's dead." Connie whispered to me. "Idiots." We said at the same time.

"Alright, I gotta make a phone call. Keep scrimmaging. You, you, you, and you against four." He said pointing at us. "Nice name usage." I snickered

"We got names ya know."

"Yeah!"

"I'm sure you do. And I bet they're very nice names, I might even learn 'em. For now I'll be in my office. If you need anything, fax me." He chuckled getting back into his limo.

"What a dick." I scoffed rolling my eyes.

-

We all came up with a plain to basically just fool around with the limo. "One, two, three, charge!"

We all jumped onto the limo. Me, Guy, and Connie pushed the one side, on the other side people were licking the windows, Averman and Charlie got on the trunk, Jesse and Terry got the front, and Peter got the roof.

Someone opened the door and we all flooded in. I squished in the middle Charlie and Connie, and Guy sat at the end next to Connie. Me and Connie started chanting 'We wanna ride' and everyone followed along. And we all cheered when the limo started to move.

We all scrunched our faces up once we smelled something bad. "Goldberg!" All of us groaned in disgust. "It wasn't me!"

"Oh, man it's my mom." Charlie said as his mom waved for the limo to stop. "She looks pissed, Charlie." I said and looked at Connie in disappointment that our ride was cut short.

"Alright out! Everybody, out of the car right now." Charlie's mom ordered us and we all got out one by one. She dragged Coach Bombay a couple feet away and started yelling at him. I felt bad for Charlie when he looked down I'm embarrassment. "Charlie, let's go." She said sternly as she walked away. "Sorry guys." Charlie said sadly.

"It's alright."

"It's all good, man."

"You gonna be at the game tomorrow coach?" Charlie asked before leaving. "By order of the state of Minnesota, yeah." He said and he almost seemed disappointed. "What's that supposed to mean?" I mumbled to myself.