Chapter 5

Jasmine scaled the fire escape at five minutes to midnight, just in case Raphael was someone who came early. Turns out, he was.

"I'm actually sort of surprised you came." Jasmine smiled when she heard his deep voice. She turned and saw his bright eyes piercing out from the shadows.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Well, it's not every day I meet someone who doesn't scream and run away when they see me. Everyone I meet usually thinks I'm a monster," he smirked as he came out from the shadows, but held sadness in his eyes. Jasmine felt herself staring again at his enormous, muscular frame and huge shell, but carefully watching his eyes for unsaid emotion.

"Well I'm not everyone, now am I?" Jasmine smirked back. She tucked her hands into her jacket pocket and walked to the edge of the roof. Raph followed her with his eyes, taking in her appearance. She looked okay, no bruises or cuts visible from the night before, and he then noticed her nice outfit.

A white V-neck with a black leather jacket that had a dark grey hood attached. Ripped jeans and white sneakers finished the outfit, and he noticed her small heart necklace she wore around her neck. She looked good.

"So what did you call me up here for? You planning on kidnapping me?" She joked as she sat on the edge of the roof with her legs hanging over. Raph chuckled and wandered slowly over to where she was sitting, absentmindedly rubbing at the heart that was still on his wrist.

"Nah, whenever I want to kidnap someone, I usually take them to an alley first," he replied as he smirked. Jasmine laughed and he felt his heart skip a beat. Her laugh was like music, smooth and soft. He quickly shook himself out of his trance and finally sat down beside her, watching her black hair move softly over her shoulders in the cool breeze. Jasmine and Raph just sat there, watching the night life of New York and the lights of the city sparkle in the darkness.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?," she finally said. Raph looked over to her.

"Yeah. It is," he replied quietly. Jasmine sighed and looked at her feet as she swung them back and forth.

"I guess we shouldn't ignore the elephant in the room. Why did you really want to see me Raphael?" Her dark eyes drifted over to his bright ones and held them. He shrugged.

"I'm not sure exactly. I wanted to know if you were okay after last night." She let out a half bitter chuckle.

"That's not the worst I've been through." Raph frowned a little at her answer.

"What does that mean?"

"I-... never mind." She looked away again. "Was that man last night after me because I know you?"

"We aren't sure yet; but we think so," he sighed. Jasmine gave a small smile.

"We?" Raph chuckled.

"Yes, we."

"That's all I get? You aren't going to explain who else you're talking about?" She smiled. Raph sighed, knowing that Leo would kill him but also knowing that Jasmine wouldn't drop it.

"My brothers."

"There's more of you?"

"Yeah. There's four of us, actually."

"Hmm. That must be-... interesting," she smiled. Raph chuckled in response, feeling more calm sitting here with her than he ever had.

"Yeah. It's hard to deal with them sometimes, but I still love them." They once again lapsed into comfortable silence as they both looked across the city.

"You're lucky, you know," Jasmine said quietly. Raph raised an eye ridge and looked at her. "I always wanted a sibling, but I've always been an only child."