Chapter 9

Just to let you know, this is Jasmine's backstory that she's explaining to Master Splinter. Enjoy ☺️

The things Jasmine remembered most about her childhood was always two things. Moving, and her parents travelling. They weren't often home, photography always taking them different places for different reasons.

But when they came back, they always had something for Jasmine. Either a souvenir, toy, or something to do with a camera, they were always there for her.

But that all changed when she was 16.

"Are you done yet mamma?" A young Jasmine asked her mother. Her mom turned and smiled to her.

"Just about, sweetheart." Then she glanced towards the man on the other side of the room.

"How are you doing over there Spencer?" She called and the man shot a thumbs up over his shoulder.

"Just peachy Caroline," he called back and she laughed. Jasmine huffed a sigh and put her hand on her cheek as she went back to her colouring page. Her mom and dad were both photographers, always travelling. But this evening, her parents were home and busy cooking dinner together as 8 year old Jasmine coloured in a picture at the kitchen table.

"Jasmine, could you set the table for us sweetie?" Jasmine cleaned up her colouring book and went to grab a stack of plates. Her parents put all the food into the table and sat down as Jasmine finished up getting silverware.

"Thank you for dinner mamma and papa," Jasmine smiled as she took her own seat.

"You're so very welcome," her father smiled. Jasmines mom helped put some of the delicious smelling dinner onto her plate. As Jasmine started to eat, the whole mood around the table turned a bit tense and the young Jasmine seemed to notice.

"Jasmine, honey. There's something we need to tell you," her mom said suddenly. Jasmine stopped eating and glanced up. Her mom and dad shared glances.

"We're moving," her dad said gently. Jasmine frowned.

"But papa, we just got here," she sighed and pointed to the still unpacked boxes around the apartments living room. Her dad sighed and nodded.

"I know, Jazzy. I know. But this time, we're staying for a while," he said. Jasmine sighed. She had a hard time making friends since she never stayed in one place for long, so leaving Chicago wasn't a big deal.

"So-... where to this time?" She faked enthusiasm for the sake of her parents and they shared relieved looks.

"New York city."

<<{}>>

16 year old Jasmine was sitting curled up in a red blanket with a cup of hot chocolate in her hands. On the TV played Beauty and the Beast, her favourite movie of all time. She loved how it told the lesson of don't judge a book by its cover, and in the end, even the most beastly things are actually beautiful within. And not to mention it was her go-to movie whenever she was home alone and her parents were travelling.

She took another sip of her hot chocolate and before she heard someone knock at her apartment door. She sighed and hit pause on the remote before pulling back her blanket and going to check the spy-hole on the door.

Jasmines heart stopped when she saw who was there. She quickly unlocked the door and opened it to two police officers, both somber and their hats off in their hands.

"Ms. Sarna?" One of the officers asked. Jasmine nodded.

"We're so sorry-..." the rest of what he said was a blur. Jasmine only remembered muffled voices and tears streaming down her face.