Chapter 2

The Scarlet Devil Mansion stood in its intimidating nature near the outskirts of Gensokyo, surrounded by misty lakes and a field of grass. The entrance to the bustling interior could be entered via a narrow pathway once you had squeezed through the gate or opted for taking flight to enter its premises.

The mansion in question held in its garnished hands the residents whom were well-acquainted with the landscape of Gensokyo, yet remained indoors to provide for the mistress of the mansion herself, Remilia Scarlet.

Obviously, a mistress cannot be one without her own dutiful servants, and it just so happened the scarlet devil herself had a number of servants at her disposal - an invisible hierarchy labeled by their specialities and capabilities, as well as their fiedlity to Remilia herself.

The most prominent and auspicious servant Remilia had was the elegant maid, Sakuya Izayoi. In its dichotomy and hypocrisy, Remilia believed humans were feeble, fragile creatures - so weak to a degree where they were beneath her concern; but Sakuya displayed powers the mistress was flabbergasted to witness, from the power to stop time, accelerate time, or even manipulate space.

The maid was never derelict in her duties behooved to her, obsequious to any command given to her even if the request was impossible. These feats were beyond Remilia's expectations, allowing Sakuya to receive the title of head maid, but also ulteriorly having Remilia's care.

The vampiress's selfish, obstinate demeanor and frightening appearance should have ironed out her soul, creating an impenetrable heart that could not bleed for humans, but Sakuya was the exception - her silver knives comparable to the effect she had on Remilia in secret. All of these admirable qualities brought the two unlikely relationships to form a bond that was limited, yet enjoyable nonetheless.

Another resident was Patchouli Knowledge, a friend of Remilia's that spent her days reading in the Grand Library of Voile. Albeit stricken with the foul wrenches of anemsia and asthma to worsen her capabilities, the purple/haired librarian was dedicated to absorbing as much knowledge as she could - and with her helper Koakuma at her side, tasks were performed with more leniency.

Finally, there was Hong Meiling at the front of the mansion, guarding the gate in a protective barrier of her own will and determination to halt any intruders who dared to enter - if it wasn't for her indolence. The shields were fragile and embarrassed the fanciful state of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, incessantly receiving a reminder from Sakuya to quit slacking off and focus on the one simple task questionably arduous to Meiling.

For a moment, the Scarlet Devil Mansion flourished and gleamed in the cherubic whispers protruding their lifeforce, its stillness fickle in darkness of night to produce a red crimson but impressive as can be when the Sun hits its exterior.

But just like how spools of knowledge should have been spun, it was blatant that this ubiquitous peace never remains permanent.

--

"Ah, what do you have for me, Sakuya?"

In the throne room of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, Remilia was fascinated to notice the dutiful maid of hers had brought a newspaper to her attention, rather than put it in place for wiping off countertops and whatnot. The edges of trepidation were sharpened further when the vampire couldn't help but notice Sakuya's agitated visage - her posture abnormal for the elegance she usually conveyed.

"A newspaper, milady," Sakuya answered, abruptly handing the scarlet devil the news. "I believe it requires your immediate attention."

"Well then, let me see."

Holding out the newspaper to face the vampire, Remilia studied what was written on the headline before her expression drained of its jubilation and arrogance - a crimson moon waning to a mere crescent with feeble moonlight splashing the sky in its light. The news instinctively shook a nerve within Remilia, causing her to take a step back to comprehend the paper's message.