Chapter 12

The commotion that had occurred from an unknown source which brought down the forcefield - much to Patchouli's chagrin and dismay - revealed Reimu and Mima, the two culprits. One was responsible for the uprising revolt of a carnage, the other was a stoic, hungry predator whose own goals aligned with the "heroic" shrine maiden, which brought them together to takedown the librarian.

Of course, the pandemonium they created by arriving at a destination they were not permitted to enter garnered Patchouli's baffled countenance; her surprise increased, the librarian couldn't fathom why this new being was now joining in an alliance with Reimu of all people. Was she aware of what mass spawning of dastardly deeds the shrine maiden had committed or was she blindly abiding Reimu's behest and following her into whatever alleys awaited them in their hopeless goal for world domination? Regardless, these questions were eternally covered in a cape of ambiguity and left to rot under the twisted beings of these two foul creatures.

"Who," Patchouli began, fear-stricken while transfixed on the green spirit, "are you?" The libarian's gaze met the shrine maiden before it fell back upon Mima. "And why are you assisting a murderer?"

"A murderer?" the vengeful spirit chirped. "I believe you have the wrong idea. What you fail to understand is that Reimu will bring salvation to the world of Gensokyo and rule over it with an iron fist, as will I; this is the joy we should only experience! Only I, Mima, shall be able to conquer!"

"Do we really need to speak and answer her questions?" Reimu sighed, shaking her head. "We're here to fini- well, what I was going to finish," the shrine maiden furrowed her brow at Patchouli, the one who managed to cleverly avoid her assault on the Scarlet Devil Mansion. "Thankfully, you're right where I expected you to be. It would've been really annoying trying to find you if you kept moving, you know."

Dire was the situation, desperate was the moment to survive, and necessary was the task to defend herself against these two wicked entities readying to feast on her corpse like a chicken roast on Thanksgiving. Patchouli didn't carry a prophecy which foretold either her inevitable demise or unbelievable triumph; however, she still had bravado flowing through her bloodstream and keeping her knees and confidence afloat. Armed with her magic spells at her disposal, the librarian was certain it wasn't that difficult; the outcome surely weighed in her favor, if she did her damnedest to overcome these odds thrown at her.

After all, what other choice did she have?

"Very well," the librarian bowed her head, holding her book outward as the book glowed a violet light whilst the pages flipped over and over at a remarkable pace. "I understand my chances of winning are slim to invaders such as you, but it does not matter. Perhaps this battle won't change anything, and perhaps nothing will come out of it, but that is only if you win. As for me," Patchouli's eyes alit in a purple flare as the magic power she collected embued into her body, "I will stand my ground to beings like you."

Interesting, yet not that diverse from expectations. The shrine maiden and the vengeful spirit weren't astonished nor captivated by the librarian's resolve as not only had they flourished over the likes of a celestial and ghost princess, but they had additional power that was the reinforcements for what they lacked. To see Patchouli, an intelligent yet quietly reserved mind, propose a formidable challenge to both contenders was more so of laughable than intimidating according to both.

And it was a "challenge" they were willing to take head on.

"Sure," the shrine maiden stepped forth, holding her purification rod out while keeping Mima nearby, "you can stand your ground all you want. You're not that different from the other who have fallen because of their useless resistance."