Twenty-One

During the next month, Miss Mason found herself under Mr. King's sexual direction quite a few times - whether it be for a quick fuck or a marathon sexual experience.

Things also seemed to lighten up between them too. He didn't actively ignore and avoid her, though he hadn't opened up to her by any means. He was still the closed book he always was, still quite cold and rigid most of the time. Though she hadn't really expected anything less from him.

Over the month, she also managed to not ruin or damage anymore of Mr. King's possessions, so he hadn't had to find ways to punish her, which she was both grateful and disappointed about. And she didn't quite know how both could be true.

She thought of purposely ruining something just to see what he would come up with, but in the end decided against it.

...

As Katherine finished preparing Mr. King's breakfast that Friday, he walked into the kitchen dressed in a well-tailored dark gray suit and blue tie for his day at the office.

"Miss Mason," she heard him murmur, and she turned to face him, watching as his eyes washed up and down her body.

"You're—dressed up," he stammered as he took in the white collared button up dress shirt, paired with a knee-length black pencil skirt, and shiny black stilettos.

"Yes. I am," she said quietly, grabbing his plate from the counter and bringing it to him as he sat down in his usual spot at the center island.

"Why are you dressed up?" He asked curiously, his eyebrow cocking slightly as she watched his eyes dip down to the heels on her feet once again.

"Uhm... my father—he has a court hearing this morning for... for his sentencing since he was denied bail," she told him reluctantly, watching as his jaw tensed at the mention of her father.

"He was denied bail?" Mr. King asked, not sounding surprised in the least.

"Um, he's had many drunk driving arrests in the past. Too many for me to keep track of. And because of the severity of what happened this time around, the judge decided it wouldn't be in anyone's best interest to let Roger Mason back on the street," Katherine explained, letting out a deep, stressed breath at the end.

"I don't think you should go," he told her insistently, his tone quite curt.

She was so confused on why it seemed to matter to him. Why did he care? And why did he think he had the right to overstep the way he was?

"What? No. It's my father," she scoffed, sending him a look of offense.

"Katherine," he warned, his voice low and dark.

"I should be back by lunch, but... you have a meeting today, don't you?" She asked, completely ignoring his warning as she recalled that she read about his meeting on the schedule she was expected to keep up with on a daily basis.

"Do you think it's a good idea?" He questioned, holding his fork idly in his hand, having not even taken one bite of the breakfast she just prepared for him.

"Your food is going to get cold," she pointed out, purposely dodging his question as she nodded toward his plate.

"Do you think it's a good idea, Miss Mason?" He asked more firmly.

"For you to let your breakfast get cold? No," she replied, really trying to avoid the topic of conversation altogether.

"Katherine. Do not play games with me," he growled, his eyes fiery, his voice seething.

"Mr. King, I don't believe this topic of conversation is appropriate for the workplace," she told him, turning back toward the kitchen counter, moving swiftly to clean up the mess she made by preparing his breakfast.