Forty-Seven

Harrison's eyes focused on Katherine's mouth. He could feel himself becoming aroused just by looking at her, but he pushed those thoughts and feelings to the back of his mind. That was the last thing they needed.

There was so much that needed to be said between them before they became sexual with each other again. He had a lot of emotional growth to do before he could even think about it.

"I'm sorry for everything," Harrison told her, his voice cracking with emotion.

It was hard for him to admit when he was wrong, to show vulnerability. But he knew Katherine deserved it. She deserved a million apologies for everything he put her through.

"You've already apologized," she reminded him, her eyes never leaving his, even when he looked away in shame.

"It needs to be said again... and again. You need to hear it," he explained and he heard as she took in a deep breath and let it out.

Katherine's fingers wrapped around his wrists, his hands still cradling her face.

"You deserve it," he pressed, looking back into her eyes and he felt her nod her head.

"Can I... can I kiss you?" He whispered, his heart beating wildly in his chest. He didn't know how he would handle it if she said no.

But a split second later, she pressed forward, connecting their lips before he could. She wrapped her arms around his neck as his hands dropped down to her waist.

She kissed him hard and he felt the passion in it, he lived for it. He kissed her back with reckless abandon and his whole being thrived on it, on her. She brought him back to life, he could feel the stone around his heart begin to crumble with each moment they stood there kissing, with each swipe of her tongue against his.

He wanted to pick her up and carry her straight to his bed, but he had enough sense to know he shouldn't. If she was going to take a chance on him, they needed to have a serious talk about everything. They needed to talk about what his addiction meant for them, because he didn't even know what it meant. He wanted to make it work with Katherine, wanted it to be meaningful. He needed it even worse.

When she finally broke the kiss, they were both left with heavy breathing and wild heartbeats, though neither of them pulled away from each other. They stood there for a few moments, foreheads pressed together, eyes closed. He needed to take a few deep, cleansing breaths in order to center himself.

"Thank you, Harrison," Katherine panted, pulling back only slightly, only enough to look into his eyes.

"For what?" He questioned, his brows furrowing.

What on earth could she possibly be thanking him for? He didn't know the last time he deserved so much as a thank you from anyone, especially not from her.

"For coming to see me. For making me hear you out. For explaining so much to me. For making me understand," she explained.

His heart flourished for a moment, but then slowly fell again, realizing his motives were selfish all along. Was him doing all of that what was best for her? Was being with him what was best for her? He was certain it wasn't. He was a snake and didn't deserve her to be standing in front of him with her forgiveness.

"Please don't thank me," he breathed, closing his eyes tightly, shaking his head.

He went to her because he was a mess without her. He didn't even bother to take into consideration whether or not she was better off without him. He'd been selfish with her in every aspect and he knew he needed to change. He knew that if she decided to be with him, he needed to put her first.