𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

SOFÍA CASTILLO

SOFÍA CASTILLO

Today's the day I get to meet James Barnes. To say I am nervous would be an understatement.

The jet my father has ready is waiting just outside the tinted limo windows I'm leaning my forehead up against. I breathe out a heavy sigh and I feel a gentle hand on my shoulder next to me. I lean up from the window pane and turn to see my bodyguard, Rogelio, give me a warm smile as he rubs my shoulder in a reassuring manner.

"Sofía, you seem... anxious."

I nod my head and let out another sigh, "Si, Rogelio. My father didn't even bother to say goodbye to me this morning."

Rogelio gives me a concerning look as he rubs my shoulder once more. His dark brunette hair shows hints of gray as he runs his hands through it and sighs. He shrugs slightly before responding.

"You know your father is very busy. That's why he has me by your side during this trip."

I almost scoff at his words. This wasn't a trip, but more like a nightmare. I wasn't doing this because I wanted to. I stare down at my lap and focus on the seams on the dress Valentina laid out for me this morning, a red satin business dress that hits above the knees with a tie in the middle. It was elegant enough, but business enough to be taken seriously.

"He could've at least given me the folder of information himself, instead of you," I replied hastily. I don't like getting mad at the ones who are sworn to protect me, like Rogelio, but I can't help it. My father gave Rogelio the job of briefing me with the information I'd need for the meeting. He couldn't spend a couple of minutes this morning with me, his only daughter, to educate me on this Barnes mafia meeting I would be attending.

"I know, Mija," Rogelio answers warmly. "He told me that he is proud of you for stepping up to go in his place. You know how important this meeting will be for your future and his."

I bite my tongue, wanting to release all the anger built up inside me. But Rogelio doesn't deserve any of that, my father does. I take a deep breath and nod my head, not wanting to argue anymore. I look out of the window and see a flight attendant walk down the jet's stairs and wave to our limo. It was time for us to board.

Rogelio pats my knee before getting out of the limo and walking on the other side to open my door. I thank him as I step out and follow him towards the jet, his black Tom Ford suit blowing in the wind as we walk. We're greeted by the flight attendant and make our way up the stairs and into the main cabin. There are only six seats and I decide to take the middle one towards the right of the jet. Each seat is massive with a reclining option and a table next to it.

As I sit down, I see Rogelio carry the folder of information towards me and place it onto the table next to my seat. I thank him with a soft smile and watch as he takes the front row seat to the left. I can tell he wants to give me as much privacy as I need before our tedious meeting in a few hours. We're supposed to land in Chicago in two hours, so I had to continue reading the notes in the folder if I wanted to make this meeting go smoothly.