𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄

WARNING: 18+ Minors DNI

SOFÍA CASTILLO

The summer night is warm in Chicago as Rogelio and I walk down the strip of designer stores on East Oak Street, the street we drove past a few hours earlier. The lakefront effect creates a refreshing breeze against my skin as we walk.

    Although we had the limo ready to take us to the secure penthouse to get ready for the night, I didn't bring any clothes with me and needed to fix that. A short shopping spree would do the trick... and lessen the nerves inside of me for whatever happens tonight.

    It's not that I am expecting something to happen tonight with James, but I won't say no if he does. There has been an undeniable tension between us this evening and my body needs a release. Although we've only known each other for a few weeks it feels longer.

    With all of the traveling that we have been doing for this business connection, it feels like the summer has lasted for half a year and June is barely ending. Just the thought that I get two more months of summer makes me ecstatic for whatever wants to come my way.

    "Mija, adónde quieres ir?" Rogelio breaks my thoughts as we walk along the sidewalk, side by side, asking me where I want to go. Rogelio is walking to my left, closest to the street, and I see him check his watch before looking at me for my answer.

    I shrug my shoulders as I take in the city and see shoppers walking around carrying designer shopping bags on their arms. I didn't know where to start. Quite frankly, I didn't shop as much as I should back home, and being in another country gives me the opportunity to splurge a little.

    "No se," I reply, letting Rogelio know that I don't know where the hell to start. Rogelio lets out a chuckle before moving closer towards me, causing me to move my feet closer to the store fronts and I almost crash into a window display. I stop my feet before I fully face-plant into the window display and turn my head, glaring at Rogelio.

    He just laughs and shrugs. "You are just like your father, never sure of where to go."

    I roll my eyes at him as I readjust my dress and posture before looking up at the store. Givenchy. Hmm, I've heard that my mother always shopped here but I've never been.

    "Perfecto," I cheerfully say as I make my way towards the tall glass doors and see Rogelio follow behind in the reflection. I don't bother waiting for him to hold the door open for me before I thrust myself inside the store.

    It smells like deep mahogany and fruity, like an apple. I close my eyes in the foyer and take the scent in as I imagine myself here with my mom. I wonder if she ever went to an international Givenchy, the original one in Paris, or just settled for the one in Mexico.

    Just that thought alone of imagining myself with my mom brings a smile to my face. I hear footsteps and finally open my eyes, seeing Rogelio find his way next to me in the foyer.