9. Worth Being Forward With

❝ worth being forward with ❞━ FARRAH ━

━ FARRAH ━

Peering out of my glasses, I scan the discharge charts I was just handed and feel as my brows furrow. My eyes struggle to stay open as I read - or at least try to - the words on the sheet of paper.

After pulling a forty-two hour shift because of a fire at a group home, I have no clue how I haven't fallen asleep standing yet. I even told Alyssa I'd meet her at the club tonight, but I might have to take a raincheck.

Might? I definitely have to.

I can't take five steps without wanting to pass out on the sixth one and I expect myself to stay standing tonight when I have a couple of drinks in me? Something tells me that's not a healthy life choice.

Gabriel is seated behind the nurse's station and has taken the chance to get some shut-eye, especially since he's a surgical nurse and had to stay awake and alert for a fifteen hour surgery on a sixteen year old burn victim.

He, unfortunately, along with five others, didn't make it, but his younger brother did. The ten year old brother he went back into the fire to save.

This is why I couldn't be in the room where it happens. It carries so much bad energy, and while there have been more saves than losses, death still looms and claims who it wants to.

My head slumps against my propped up arm and I take a second to read the back of my eyelids. That lesson doesn't last very long before the voice over the intercom calls my name and summons me to the waiting room.

I don't know what it could be for but all I know is that it interrupted what would've been a great standing nap.

Gabe's head shoots up, eyes puffy and red as he tries to focus in on me.

I sigh, "I'll be back."

"Are you going home?" He asks, voice rough and tired.

"I wish."

With a too short elevator ride in which I rested my head against the wall, I make my way down two floors and to the waiting room. Part of me wished it was the genie from Aladdin who would grant me three wishes and the first would be that I receive millions of dollars to live out the rest of my life comfortably.

But we all know money doesn't buy happiness. Maybe a yacht.

When I step off the metal box and catch the sight of who I assume is here to see me, my eyes brighten and my lips form a pout.