40. The End

"So, you're knocked up

"So, you're knocked up..." Thomas chuckles as he paces toward Farrah, his fists clenching and unclenching behind his back. "With his kid?" He points toward me, "Come on, we can do better than this criminal."

And what might you be?

"You need a real man." He steps close to her and grabs her face again. My body shifts forward as I try to break the ties behind me but Nazar snickers and slams his fist against my face. I spit the blood from my mouth onto the floor and glare menacingly at the man beside me. Thomas doesn't stop in his actions to see what happened.

He's confident he's won.

Farrah pulls her face back in disgust, "Thomas, what is your obsession? I'm just a nurse."

"A nurse with a face like yours." He smirks, "What other reason could there be?"

Her personality, the way she cares, the way she loves.

She remains quiet and instead turns her head away so she's looking at me.

Thomas takes advantage of that, "Do you realize the mess he's put you in? If he hadn't brought you into his business, I would've made you happy. I would've opened your eyes to something new and exciting and it would be my kid you're carrying, not his." Though I can barely see his face, I can hear the insanity in his tone. "You could have your cake and eat it too."

"Instead," He trails off, "It looks like I'll have to reap all the benefits and you'll just have to suffer until you come to your senses."

•••

The rooms are empty now, save for Farrah and I so close yet so far apart. I'd be a fool to believe they couldn't hear us though.

Drops of water land on the dirty ground as I keep my eyes on the woman across from me. Farrah has been struggling against her shackles for a while despite my protests that it will help, often taking breaks to catch her breath and shed a tear or two.

I just want to break the glass between us and hold her, apologize for not foreseeing that Kravets' ally would be the man she worked alongside for months.

That he would hurt her, touch her...

It makes me enraged that I'm here practically halfway across the world yet barely out of reach at the same time.

And she's pregnant. She has a life growing inside of her, a product our love. She's pregnant.

"Farrah." I call out to her, hearing as she releases a grunt of frustration, "Dolcezza, calmati (calm down)." She stops and meets my eyes and for a moment, I'm relieved to not see disappointment. "When did you find out?"