Chapter 47: Monarch

A huge chunk of her bedroom wall had been blown off, giving them a clear view at the commotion.

---Adrien's POV---

My conversation with Plagg was cut out by an an explosion somewhere in town. Not for the first time, I was grateful at Hawkmoth's timing. Plagg was actually making points that made a little sense?

I could see Ladybug leaping across the rooftops as well, looking for whatever akuma had surfaced.

"Hey Bugaboo."

"Cat Noir. Did you see where the explosion was?" She asked, glancing at me briefly. "I was inside."

"Kinda hard to when I've only got eyes for you." I joked, receiving a glare from the spotted heroine in front of me.

"Two akumas in a day is a little worrying. Especially considering what caused that last one, the whole class may just be playing a game of hot potato with the butterfly."

"It's not like it's the first time though. We've done this sort of thing before."

"For once, can you just take this seriously? " 

Thigs were apparently still icy? I don't think she's ever been mad at me this long. We seemed to get along well earlier too. Surely there was something else going on.

"Are you..."

Another explosion jarred me out of my thought process, ripping my eyesight from Ladybug to a cluster of apartment buildings not too far off. 

The same apartments Alya lived in.

"There!" Ladybug exclaimed before rushing off, me following closely. 

The sun was setting nearby as we raced and the days events played through my head. If anything, Alya should feel proud of herself for standing up for Marinette the way she did. Most likely, it wasn't her. 

"YOU RUINED MY LIFE!' Screamed a voice, belonging to who I assumed to be the akuma.

"YOU RUINED YOUR OWN LIFE!" Alya retorted. 

I flung myself with my staff into view close enough to see the commotion, then stopped near Ladybug on a nearby roof. 

A huge chunk of Alya's bedroom wall had been blown off, giving us a clear view at the commotion. Alya stood with her back against the opposing wall to the one that was now littered over Paris. In between us was a girl clad in an orange dress with somewhat puffy sleeves that led white accents about halfway down her arm, a small toy crown sitting ajar on her head. She was wearing a pair of orange boots that reached just above her knees.

The akuma turned to look out the "window" she had created and toyed with a staff in her hands. Now I could see the rest of her ensemble, an orange mask covered her eyes and there was an almost foxlike white stripe down the middle of her dress. There was a small piece of fabric around her throat tied like a scarf, also donned in her chosen color of orange. 

I didn't have my Father's eye for fashion, but even I could tell it was tacky. Exactly the sort of thing Lila would wear.

(A/N Trying something new for the art, is it better? I drew it from scratch in Illustrator instead of drawing over an image from the show in photoshop

(A/N Trying something new for the art, is it better? I drew it from scratch in Illustrator instead of drawing over an image from the show in photoshop. It's a bit more time consuming though.)

---Alya's POV---

"Lila I didn't do anything..."

"My name is Monarch now. Fitting for a queen such as myself." She interrupted coldly.

I had to think fast. When Monarch blew open my wall, she destroyed my laptop, but I had the papers I used to determine the differences between Marinette and Ladybug over here with me. If she read them, she may piece some things together, and her knowing that her two worst enemies are one and the same may push her over the edge. Especially if she's already akumatized. If I was too obvious about my panic, she'd look over everything right away. 

Speaking of Marinette, Ladybug swung herself through the gap, kicking Monarch upside the head, landing on the floor next to me.

"Is anyone else in the house?" She asks, not making eye contact with me.

"No," I responded, " Nora took the twins out a few hours ago and mom and dad are gonna be at work for a while."

"Good. Come on!" She grabbed me around my waist as Monarch recovered from the hit and staggered upright. "You!" 

I grabbed the papers behind me as Mari- no, Ladybug that was gonna take a while to get used to grabbed me by the waist and jumped out the window, swinging to a nearby roof and landing near a waiting Cat Noir.

"Hey, thanks for dropping in."

(A/N Guess who caught COVID at summer camp?)