Chapter Two

So far, I have gone to four incredibly boring classes- all four of them had the Carpenter dude from first period. And, in every single class, he chose the seat right by the door. I know, I know, there is nothing wrong with sitting close to the door. But why would anyone want to sit by the door for every single class?

             Speaking of seating arrangements, my other teachers seemed to have read the instructions given to them by principal Valdez. Well... maybe they aren't instructions for how to handle the seating arrangements. Either way, there always seemed to be a seat open in the back right corner near the window. Also, there is a poster in the teacher's lounge with the words, "A happy Storm makes for a peaceful Storm; An angry Storm makes for a disaster." The poster was a waste of money on Valdez's part since she had the poster created my sophomore year.

             Who was to say I would have made it past sophomore year at this school? I had the whole state of Colorado to get an education at, yet this school won't even expel me. 

              "Well, if it isn't the infamous Francesca Storm Hilton," the absolute last person I planned on encountering today says from behind me. "To say that I am surprised you even showed up today would be an understatement. After what you did on the last day of school last year, I thought for sure you would have been expelled. If not expulsion, then I thought your stepmother would send you to military school on behalf of your father. You know I want what is best for you, right? So, I can go convince my mom right now to expel you."

                 I close my eyes and ball my fists up at my sides, trying my best not to lash out at her. She is the principal's daughter, after all. And, I did promise my dad that I wouldn't get into any kind of trouble...

                  Deciding that my breathing and temper are somewhat under control, I turn to face the chestnut-haired girl. Bria stands silently beside her, avoiding any eye contact with me and rubbing her freckled arms awkwardly.

                 "Was there something you needed? Perhaps a map that leads you back to the reality that you can't just get rid of me because I'm failing at getting myself expelled?" I rhetorically ask her. Not that I would expect her to understand what the word rhetorical means.

"You clearly aren't trying hard enough," she snaps. "We both know you should be enrolled into military school, but my mom seems to think keeping you here is a good idea. Maybe it's because your dad still speaks to her as more than friends."

"What?" Bria's eyes snap up at Bridget in confusion. "Kyle talks to your mom about things that aren't related to Storm?"

"Oh, I wouldn't call it talking per se," a sly grin appears on Bridget's face as she looks at me. "It's more like flirting and trying to make plans on when they can meet up."

"My father would never cheat on anyone," narrowing my eyes at her, I defend. "The fact that you would start a rumor such as that... well... that's on point for you. You can attack me all you want and start whatever rumor you want, but leave my dad out of your rumor business."

"Oh, that's what you think," not seeming to be giving up on the gossip article she's no doubt writing in her head, Bridget says. The sly grin still has yet to leave her face, and I'm slowly starting to get annoyed by this whole thing. "I took screenshots of their messages and sent them to myself. I knew just how stubborn you are when it comes to the facts, so I guess you owe me a favor."

She reaches back into her back pocket and pulls her phone out. There's a group of people that had started to form around us like vultures waiting for their next meal. I guess they are about to get their next meal since Bridget is giving them what they thrive off of. Gossip.