Chapter Four

All right, so maybe I should have talked Carpenter into getting something to eat before dropping me off at my house. Or, better yet, I should have just given him the directions to my uncle Micah's place.

               Uncle Micah is my mother's younger brother who actually turned out to be more of a surprise to my grandparents. Micah is eleven years younger than my mother and seventeen years younger than my uncle Jared. Out of the two uncles I have on my mom's side, I only see Micah. Uncle Jared had disappeared off of the face of the planet shortly after Micah had graduated high school and Mom had taken off to Kentucky.

                Micah is pretty much my best friend and doesn't scold me for getting in trouble at school. In fact, he claims that he used to get in trouble too when he was my age but it doesn't necessarily mean you are a bad person. Well, that's only if your intentions were good from the beginning, but he also believes that people have the ability to change.

                Kaylee- on the other hand- believes that once someone has gone down the path of troublemaking in life they can never be seen as good in society. And, she of course tries to instill these words into my father's head every single time I find myself in trouble.

"Francesca Storm Hilton!" Dad is fuming when I walk through the unlocked front door.

                Kaylee is standing next to him- a smile plastered on her face. Bria stands next to her mother, finding an interest in the wooden flooring. I should ask her one of these days what her fascination with the floor is.

"That would be my name, yes," I acknowledge smartly.

"Now is not the time to be a smart alec," he scolds. "Where were you?"

Oh, just talking to a guy and taking back what I said about him not really being that annoying. I wouldn't have to take back my words if he hadn't decided to ask a bunch of different questions. But, I must admit, the questions were worth the procrastination and sure beat riding in the same vehicle Kaylee was driving.

                  Of course, I can't say any of that without getting even more questions and lectures, so I say the first thing that comes to my mind.

                 "That is none of your concern." I walk past them and into the living room.

                 "Where you are is my concern! You are my responsibility!" he nearly shouts, following right behind me.

                  I stop walking and turn to look him straight in the eyes. "If I am your responsibility, then why did she come pick me up?" pointing over to where Kaylee is still stood enjoying the scene before her, I ask him angrily.

                 He opens his mouth to say something, but I quickly cut him off.

                  "If I really wanted to talk about responsibility, then I would have let mom take custody of me!" I yell without thinking about my choice of words. "Your current wife was a phoney from the beginning and only wanted you for your money. Did you know she isn't as supportive as you think when it comes to me being in a relationship with another girl?"

                  By the taken aback look on his face, I can tell he wasn't aware of this situation. So, I decide to continue on with my speech.

                  "I get that working for the attorneys office is an important job or whatever, but that doesn't excuse the fact that you continue to let her stay here," I take a deep breath and look directly at Kaylee. "Deny everything that I just said, but ask yourself if who I choose to be in a relationship with personally impacts you. We both know the answer to this question, but I know that you won't change your stance."