Chapter Twenty-Two

Friday could not have arrived any slower. Strangely enough, Capri has been super nice to me ever since Ocean had asked her on a double date. She even came home all peppy and hugs- the type of hugs where my soul isn't being squeezed right out of my body. I know I shouldn't feel guilty, but I do. Ocean was right about just how bad this double date idea is.

                But, at the same time, he was the one that took it upon himself to call Capri and talk her into going out for a double with him. Was he trying to prove a point to me in that moment? Or was this one of his moments where he is planning to get close to Capri just to figure out where her grudge stems from.

                I still say her grudge stems from jealousy at the lack of love she feels in her life. I am not a licensed psychologist or a therapist, but that was the message I had gotten through Spencer's shared conversation with her. Which, speaking of Spencer, he seemed a little too overjoyed by getting a second chance to go on a date with me- even if there are two other people around us.

                 Reggie has been suspended from school, as of Tuesday, and will not be allowed back until the homecoming dance funds have been returned. Somehow Capri had managed to escape getting suspended- I assume Bridget had something to do with the fate of suspension. Wrong Hilton, even if the Hilton in question has been on Bridget's bad list recently, and no recent record of school or legal trouble.

                 Talk about being completely unfair. Reggie is ignoring Ansel and me but has been spotted vandalizing law firms around town. Dad says that I should not worry about the fact that Reggie is ignoring my messages- claims that it's all for the better. He also informed me that he will not work with bailing Reggie out the second police are able to catch him. In natural form, I argued that that's what Reggie expects to happen. For him to be thrown into prison just like his dad and for no one to waste their time and money bailing him back out.

                 After that, I was told by my dad to leave his office and go be productive by doing my homework. Of course, I was not about to leave without accusing him of being scared that I will turn out like Reggie someday and he only believed in money and not people. Kyle Hilton was too stunned by my words to even reply and had tried to hide his hurt at my accusation. I left that room a second later and passed by my mom who looked equally as stunned by my words.

                I later apologized for what I had said, but my dad brushed my apology off and said that I will understand where he is coming from when I have children of my own. At the time of my apology, word had spread to Capri and Callum of what I had said. Capri causally said that the best defense attorneys are the ones that prioritize money over clients. Callum argued that that was an opinion, but his belief is that defense attorneys should genuinely care about the fate of their clients. He also told me to take it easy on my dad and to take a deep breath before lashing out.

                  "How is it that I miss out on important voting matters?" Ansel pouts, moving a piece of broccoli around on his plate. He proceeds to aggressively stab the piece of broccoli and holds it up to his face. "I specifically told Tal to put more seasoning on the broccoli. No wonder everyone hates the food at this school!" He shakes the fork and we watch as the broccoli wobbles unsteadily and falls right onto the table- splattering juice right onto my arm.

                    "I don't think going on a date with an openly gay guy is considered a date," I point out.

"If you are going out on a month," Ansel waves his fork hazardously to his left. "A day," his fork goes hazardously to his right. "And a year, then that is a date!" Ansel exclaims, the points of his fork aimed directly at my face now.