Chapter Twenty

Home. I walked all the way back to my house, rather than take the bus and have everyone stare at me weirdly. Not to mention, I did not have any money on me nor in my backpack. I am not the type to cry when feeling frustrated, but, man, I was so overwhelmed by everything. My eyes were stinging and my cheeks were sticky from the amount of crying I had done on my journey home.

                I had expected to arrive home to an empty house, but was greeted by my mother's car in the driveway. Mom living here was still unusual to me, so seeing her car here was both a relief and damper on my plans to sulk around the house- blasting sad music on the TV until Dad came home from work. On the other hand, I really was relieved that I could finally talk to my own mother about the problems I was facing. Only new aspect was that there were boys involved.

                   "Kyle, is that you?" Mom's voice calls from the kitchen, as soon as she hears the front door open and close. I can smell a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies baking in the oven and my feet automatically start to walk in that direction.

                  Setting my backpack on the ground, I lift myself up onto a barstool at the island and sit there without saying a word. My mother's back is turned towards me, but I catch her looking back at my reflection in the microwave.

                  "Boy troubles?" she automatically asks, the corners of her mouth turning downwards.

                   "How come you aren't yelling at me for not coming home last night or, at the very least, telling me how disappointed you are by my actions?" I ask, completely ignoring her question. Why can't she just be one of those moms who chew their child out for being irresponsible and not thinking about how their actions can affect others?

                    At my question, she turns around and places her hands up against the counter behind her. I watch as she scoots the empty cookie dough package out of her way and hops right onto the counter.

                    "Someone already seems to have done the chewing out part for me," she cocks her head to the side and gives a soft smile. "Hon, you know that you did something wrong already, if we are sitting here having this conversation. What I want to know is why you are so scared to have someone care about you?"

                     "I haven't felt like this before. Dating Meredith felt so artificial and was done for all of the wrong reasons. What I liked about Meredith was that her presence in the house really pissed Kaylee off and I still felt that sense of independence when I was with her. Meredith wasn't that protective of a person, unlike Carpenter. If I let myself just be normal and let him fully in, I am scared of losing myself in the process.

                   "Of course, my life is currently complicated at the moment. Capri has some sort of vendetta against me and is trying to make everyone's life a living hell at school. Bridget is trying to recruit me and Ansel, but she failed miserably at getting Ansel to commit. I told her that I want to do this my way, but Bridget's own desperation shows just how badly Capri is making everything at school.

                  "And don't you even get me started on the rest of Capri's criminal behavior. I thought I could have feelings for Carpenter's brother, but, it turns out, he lied to me and pledged his allegiance to the land of Capri. Not to the land of the free, but the land of Capri! He could have told her that he was not interested in framing me, but she has some sort of witchcraft she performs on people to get them to do as she pleases!"

                 I decide to continue on my venting as Mom hops back off of the counter and pulls the pan of fully baked cookies out of the oven. And, somehow in the middle of my venting, I start to feel the tears pouring involuntarily down my face. Gosh, these emotional feelings are annoying.