Chapter Twenty-Three

Long day at school on a Friday calls for a weekend of games and relaxation. Unless, if there is a few dates thrown into the mix. I decided not to tell Ocean what I had found out regarding Capri's chosen restaurant. I also did not bother to tell Capri that her French restaurant is a complete phony and will more than likely never exist.

To make myself feel better for my selfish decision, I decide to walk to Kaylee's store with the goal of having a mature conversation about the past. I know, I know, bringing up the past is a bad move to make, but I need to feel like I am making one mature decision today.

                "Excuse me, ma'am, but you are strictly banned from this store." Trista, one of Kaylee's kiss-up girls, stands in front of me with a broom horizontally in her hands.

                 "That is no way to treat a potential paying customer," standing on my tiptoes, I spot Kaylee all the way in the back of the store talking with a customer.

                  "Rules are rules, get out," she points at the door behind me, sternly.

                   "I would like to speak to your manager," saying the very last words I would expect to be saying in Kaylee's store, I firmly state. I look back at Trista and meet her eyes. She quickly outstretches the broom towards me, almost as if she were going to forcefully shove me right back out the door, but I quickly pivot and start to quickly run for the back.

                   I can hear Trista following close behind me, so I pick up my speed just a little. Trista ends up ditching the broom in her hands somewhere on aisle 8, which is mighty brave of her, and Kaylee is up ahead staring.

                    "What have I told you about running inside of buildings, Francesca Storm Hilton?" Yup, out of all the other possible ways to greet me, Kaylee goes for the one that involves scolding.

                     "Not to be that one snitch, but Trista is not exactly the friendly customer service type." I jab my thumb behind me towards the girl loudly panting.

                    "I told her she is banned from this store, but she does not seem to take 'no' for an answer." Trista explains between gasps of air.

                   "No, she does not," Kaylee grumbles in agreement, keeping her eyes directly on mine. "I hope you know that I have the police on speed dial and will report you for trespassing."

                   'Have you not met my dad?' I mentally snap back at her.

                   Saying those words out loud definitely would not have been a step in the right direction. So, instead, I listen to Callum and take a deep calming breath.

                    "I just want to talk, that is all," I reply calmly. "It will only take about five minutes of your time. Maybe even way less than five minutes."

                   Kaylee eyes me suspiciously for a minute and then looks behind me at Trista. "Get back to work and clean up the broom on aisle 8."

                    "Yes ma'am," Trista gives Kaylee a salute and stalks off back to aisle 8. She really should work on her intimidation and security tactics.

                  Kaylee doesn't bother to say anything else to me, as she turns around and leads me down a small hallway to her office. As we walk a little further, the only light functioning is flickering- slowly starting to claim its retirement with the other two lights. Can Kaylee not afford to replace the lightbulbs?

                  If the light situation and rude manager's pet were not enough to make me want to permanently stay away from this place, the walls on either side of the hallway are peeling stained white paint. Where the 'employee of the month' winner's picture should be hanging, an old picture of a young Bria hangs there. Just like the paint on the wall, the corners of Bria's picture is starting to crumble.