Chapter Twelve

Ocean's POV:

       Mum always told us to never jump to any conclusions with people. She claimed that judging others before ever knowing them was equivalent to judging a story by the first sentence. Looking back on her words now, I still can't make the connection between the two. The first sentence of a story seems to be what sets the tone for the majority of the story. People, on the other hand, I can choose not to ever fully know them.

       Does that even make sense?

      That's not even the point. The point is that Capri isn't actually a terrible person and the complete opposite of Francesca. Where Francesca is the type to make snarky remarks just because she knows she can get away with them, Capri only acts like her sister to try and fit in with her. Or, at least, that's how I see it.

     "Did you see the look on Reggie's face when Ansel told the waitress that Reggie had a case of the runs?" Capri asks laughing a little at the memory of a few minutes ago.

        We had found out the moment we had pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant that Ansel has a thing for one-star restaurants. Reggie was about the same as he usually is around outsiders- terrible, moody, and even worse than Francesca. However, when Reggie is around Ansel, he seems to ease up a bit on the attitude.

        The second his butt had even hit the chair, Ansel eagerly asked the waitress what she recommended to eat. Our waitress gave him a small smile in response and quickly changed the subject to what we would like to drink. Once we had all told her our drink order and she had left far out of hearing range, Reggie made a comment about the bland coloring of the walls. Reggie further explained how they reminded him of some outdated doctor's office and going to the doctor's office is one of his least favorite things to do.

       And, to further his complaints about the restaurant, Reggie didn't bother to hide the look of disgust at the food placed in front of him. I don't know what we were expecting to be served, seeing as all of the options were named after mythical creatures. Capri had asked about the food descriptions- since the food descriptions were mixed up with numbers, upside-down letters, and normal letters all in the same line- but the waitress just told her to trust the process and winked.

       "Ansel and Reggie are rather..." I try to mentally search for the right word to describe the two of them together, but there doesn't seem to be a word that fits properly.

"Unique?" Capri suggests, trying to sound confident about her own words. "Storm hanging around both of them stumps me. Why would a person like her hang around a wannabe bad boy and a guy that unintentionally finds himself getting into trouble?"

Even though I am tempted to point out that she had just answered her own question, I decide that there's no point. And, while I know I don't have any right to be, I can't help but to still be mad at Spencer. Jacob had messaged me saying that he had seen Spencer and Francesca walk through the doors of Olive Garden and be seated not too far away from him. When I had tried to subtly get Ansel to talk, Reggie had kicked him under the table.

"So, how does it feel being back in town?" Do people typically ask this question when there is nothing else to talk about?

"At least your go-to question in an awkward situation doesn't involve the weather," Capri shakes her head in disbelief.

We get to our separate vehicles, but Capri is quick to grab ahold of my upper arm. I pause and turn my attention towards her. There's a serious look on her face as she stares into my eyes.

"Spencer teamed up with Bria to try and frame Storm for taking Kaylee's credit card," Capri's words come out of her mouth so fast that I can hardly process them.