48 | A Monster Is Not Pretty

"Have you had enough?" Overhaul asks me, bending over he offers his bare hand to help me up. Evil dances in his eyes like he finds this situation somewhat amusing. After a long moment, he takes back his hand.

"You might as well give up. I'll disassemble you however many times I need to until you understand." Overhaul warned.

The shock overrides my system, I give no response. I tremble, half strewn on the floor. Numbness and haziness spread throughout my body. My vision fades into black.

The sound of arguing greets me back into the waking world.

"And I told you I can't find it!" A male I've never met before stands up to Overhaul. Even though Overhaul is much taller and quite menacing the other man seems unaffected. From my favorite chair, I watch the scene. At the moment Overhaul's eyes glanced at me I closed mine and pretended to still be knocked out.

"Sanso must have hidden it somewhere," Overhaul said. Footsteps walked towards me and stopped.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

"What did that old quack say to you before he killed himself?" Overhaul asked bluntly. Of course, he knew I was awake.

"Nothing." I squint my eyes in the bright light.

"Not nothing. He asked to see you before the experiment, so he must've been planning something." He believes I know something that I don't, what if I can't give him the answer he wants?

"Did Sanso act strange at all?"

"No," I shake my head. Overhaul sighed.

"Sir, I'd like to run some simple blood tests. If she is truly the holder of that quirk you were talking about." The other man said.

"That's unnecessary, blood tests have already been run. The results are written on her paperwork if I'm correct." Overhaul denies him.

"I know, but a full exam is necessary for me to work where Sanso left off. I have a hunch about this, please allow me." The scientist pleaded in a pleasant tone.

My eyes focus and unfocus on various items in the room. I start a staring contest with a jar of cotton balls.

"I'm not as skilled as Sanso was, but my unique quirk is at your disposal. I'll give you the results you want. No need to fret." The man trailed off looking hopeful.

Overhaul gives his consent with a nonverbal nod. The man happily picks up the various strewn items from around the large doctor's office and set to work. He hums a candid song as he pinpoints the spot the needle will draw blood from. Blood the same red color as Shouto's fills the syringe. He sets it aside and takes up a cotton swab.

"Say ahh." Hesitantly I open my mouth for him to swab my cheek for cells. He finishes up with a few simple reflex tests. Taping my knee and shining a light in my eyes.

I sit and wait while the man goes on about his work. Not that leaving or even standing is an option. An itch on my face begs to be scratched, I can't reach it.

Damn this chair and these people and this entire society. It's because of this place and this drug that Shouto is gone. If this place didn't exist then Shouto would...he would still hate me. Why did he act as he liked me? Didn't he remember that I betrayed him?

I think I'm losing my mind.

Overhaul can bring Shouto back again, right? I need to go talk to him. Make him bring Shouto back.