i. another day in the world's shittiest town

CHAPTER ONE

' another day in the world's shittiest town '

world's shittiest town '

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Kimberly Slater hated living in Shadyside.

There was yet another massacre just the night before at the Shadyside Mall. Someone went psycho and killed seven people. Was it a shocker? Not really. The town's extensive history with killers was no secret.

Just like it was no secret to the general public of Shadyside that her father, Thomas Slater, had gone nuts the same way and murdered a bunch of kids at a camp back in '78. All the more reason for Kimberly to want to leave the cursed town and go somewhere where her last name wasn't some kind of people-repellent.

"Just another day in the world's shittiest town," Kimberly sighed, eying the mini-memorial set up at Heather Watkins's locker. She tried her hardest to ignore her peers, who were not-so-sneakily whispering and taking glances at her.

Kimberly expected this. The mall massacre reminded kids of Sarah Fier, which got them talking about all her other supposed victims, which, of course, included her father.

A loud BANG! from beside her abruptly brought the dazed girl out of her thoughts.

Deena Johnson, scowling at the couple who were previously making out in front of her locker, gave Kimberly a distracted wave as a greeting. Kimberly could tell that she was in a foul mood once again; It'd been like this since her and her ex, Sam, broke it off a couple months ago.

Kimberly grabbed her books in silence, nearly jumping out of her skin as another loud noise sounded from right by her ear. This time, it was a boy. He'd stabbed a knife into Heather's locker and carved RIP on it.

"You see?" Kate, another one of Kimberly's good friends, said, startling the two girls. "It's the witch. Sarah Fier's back."

"Oh, Christ. You too?" Deena groaned. Kimberly chuckled, but inside she guiltily held hope that the curse was real; That someone else was to blame for her dad snapping and killing people, and that maybe he wasn't really a monster.

Kate only smiled at them and dragged them to the girl's bathroom by their backpacks.

The first thing that caught Kimberly's attention was the bright red words spray painted across the stall doors.

"She reaches from beyond the grave to make good men her wicked slaves," Kate read aloud.

All of a sudden, one of the bathroom stalls banged open, "She'll take your blood!" Simon yelled, laughing as Kimberly jumped and let out a small scream. "She'll take your head . . . She'll follow you, until you're dead!"