iv. hospital horrors

CHAPTER FOUR

' hospital horrors '

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

The group of five stood impatiently in the hospital waiting room, while the woman at the front desk practically ignored them. Deena, quickly losing any of the patience she had left, rang the bell.

The woman finally looked up from her nails and placed a clipboard with papers on it in front of Deena.

"Fill this out and take a seat."

Deena slid the clipboard back, "No, I'm just visiting."

"Visiting hours end at nine."

Kate cleared her throat.

"Tell Nurse Beddy she has a patient."

Nurse Beddy arrived in the waiting room after a couple of minutes— Kate and Simon both knew her fairly well because she supplied them with drugs from the hospital.

"Beddy, long time," Kate greeted. "How you been?"

"I see you're still toting around with this moron," Beddy said, nodding at Simon.

Simon grinned, opening his arms out wide, "She can't quit me, Beddy, I'm too pretty!"

"Sure are, hon," Kimberly smiled at him teasingly.

"You know it."

"Okay," Kate interrupted, eyeing Simon and Kimberly with amusement. "Listen, we need your assistance."

"I'm sure you do, but there happens to be a new security protocol. We kept coming up short on blueberries and bananas," Beddy informed Kate. "So, now I need a special key—"

"I need to see a patient," Deena butted in. Nurse Beddy turned her attention to her, eventually nodding.

"Follow me."

≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡

Kimberly, Kate, Simon, and Josh all waited out in the hallway while Deena went to confront Sam.

"So . . . blueberries and bananas?" Josh asked.

"Vicodin and Percocet," Kate said. "Want anything from the machine? I'm starving."

"Yeah, maybe some Milky Ways," Kimberly replied, following Kate to the vending machine. "You have any money, though? 'Cause I didn't bring any with me."

Kate, realizing she didn't have any money on her either, turned to Simon and held out her hand.

"Yo, Si-Money, cash me."

Simon shook his head, "Don't look at me, dude, I'm— I'm broke." He turned out his pockets to make a point.

Kate then looked at Josh, who was looking anywhere but at her.

"You got any change?"

It took Josh a few seconds to realize that Kate was, in fact, talking to him.

"Oh, um . . . let me check," he said, feeling his pockets for loose change. "Um . . . uh, no, but I . . ." he trailed off, making his way towards the machine. he punched a code in, and a second later everything in the machine began falling out. "What do you want?"

"Woah," Kimberly breathed in awe, hurrying to grab the M&M's and Milky Ways strewn across the floor.

"Where'd you learn how to do this?" Kate asked, stuffing candy in her pockets.

"Oh, um, lots of people trade hacks online."

"Nerd," Simon coughed. Kimberly rolled her eyes and threw a candy bar at his head. "Ow!"

"Oops."

Kate chuckled at the couple, while Josh nervously looked at her.

"So, um . . . when'd you get into the fruit business?"

Kimberly and Simon exchanged a glance at this. Meanwhile, Kate only gave him a confused stare, not understanding what he was talking about.

"What?"

"Um, the uh— the drugs," Josh stumbled.

Kate nodded, "Oh, that's just temporary. We're saving up to get out of here."

"Take me with you."

Kimberly pursed her lips as an awkward silence ensued. Simon, however, took the chance to poke fun and mimicked something falling from the sky and crashing. Just as he did so, girlish screams rang from down the hall, followed by a frantic-looking Deena and Sam bursting through the double doors.

"RUN!" Deena shouted, speeding past.

The four shared confused looks.

"Did they get back together?" Simon asked, still looking confused about the whole thing.

Kimberly quickly understood why the girls were screaming as soon as someone dressed as the Skull-Masked Killer ran past them wielding a large knife. Both her and Kate screamed.

Simon immediately grabbed his girlfriend's hand and pulled her along through the halls until they reached the entrance of the building. Kimberly was breathing heavily, trying not to freak out more than she already was.

"Shit, where are the keys? Do you guys have the keys?" Simon panicked, patting his pockets. "Where— where are the keys?!"

Kate's eyes darted around frantically, stopping on the ambulance parked outside.

"Come on, the ambulance!"

The four rushed into the empty ambulance, now only waiting for Deena and Sam. Kimberly stood by Simon at the back doors, anxiously waiting for them.

Finally, the girls appeared, sprinting away from the psycho in the skeleton costume.

"Come on, let's go!" the others shouted along.

"Close the doors— Close the doors!" Kimberly shrilled as soon as Deena and Sam were safe.

The ambulance was silent for a while as the teens tried to calm themselves. Kimberly, who was shaking in Simon's hold, was the first to break the silence.

"So, what was that?"

Deena inhaled shakily, replying, "Ryan Torres."

"Oh, right. Of course it was."