vi. the witch's curse is real

CHAPTER SIX

' the witch's curse is real '

real '

tw: mention of
suicide (ruby lane)

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"It doesn't make sense. It's— it's not possible. The bullets didn't stop her," Sam stuttered as they arrived back at the Johnson's house.

"Amazing observation," Kate snarked.

Deena ignored them, shaking her head and looking to Kimberly and Simon.

"Who the hell was that?"

"I dont know, sh-she seemed like she needed help or something! She seemed normal!" Kimberly stressed.

"Well, I hate to break it to you, but normal bitches don't bleed black fucking blood!"

"Well, she looked normal until she attacked us with a fucking razor blade!" Simon said in their defense.

Josh's head snapped up.

"Wait, wh— a razor?"

"Yeah, uh, like a feather blade," Simon responded. "You know, for shaving. Or in this case, I guess, slitting her—"

"—Wrists," Josh finished. "She slashed her wrists."

Everyone stopped and stared at him.

"Was she singing something? Was she singing a song, like an oldie— like an oldie song?"

Kimberly gave Josh a wide-eyed look.

"How did you know that?"

Instead of answering, Josh bolted from
his seat and to the basement. The others followed behind quickly. They all watched in silence as Josh grabbed a paper from off his board.

"This is Ruby Lane," he said, slamming it on the table. "The girl that attacked you guys."

Kimberly took a closer look at the newspaper, and lo and behold, the girl in the picture was the exact girl who attacked her and Simon.

"She sang as she murdered her boyfriend, her friends, then she killed herself. Slashed her wrists."

"Jesus," Kate muttered. "Why didn't I see this on the news?"

"Because it happened thirty years ago. 1965," Josh revealed, ripping more papers off the wall and placing another newspaper clipping on the table. "Ruby Lane is one of Shadyside's killers, just like Skull-Mask— I mean, Ryan Torres."

Josh slammed yet another clipping down. Kimberly went pale and grabbed Simon's hand.

"Look, 1978. Sixteen years ago," he went on. "Masked psycho murders kids at—"

"Camp Nightwing," Kate murmured. "Yeah, my mom's sister was there. That screwed up my family for a long time."

Kimberly squeezed Simon's hand harder.

"1950, Harry Rooker. Local Milkman slays a bunch of housewives," Josh continued. "1935, Humpty Dumpty killer. 1922, Billy Barker. 1904, Grifter guts girls, and on and on. It happens over and over. Normal people turn into psychos."

Simon slid another paper out from under the pile.

"Jesus, look at this guy," he shuddered, bringing their attention to a picture of a man with empty eye-sockets.

"That's the pastor, Cyrus Miller. 1666," Josh explained. "He, um . . . killed kids and cut out their eyes."

Sam suddenly got up and left the room, causing everyone to pause. Deena followed behind her.

"None of this is normal. It's Sarah Fier. She's turning Shadysiders into killers," Josh said.

Kimberly stared at the newspaper clipping of the Camp Nightwing massacre. If it really was true . . .

"Do you really believe that?" Kate questioned skeptically. "No one actually believes this witch shit is real."

"Yeah, I mean, it's something babysitters make up to scare kids," Simon added.

"No, no. Just listen to me," Josh rushed. "1666, Sarah Fier was hanged for witchcraft. Fact. But ever since she was executed, she's been possessing people, turning them into killers, taking revenge on the town."

"It's like the nursery rhyme," Kimberly mumbled. Josh nodded eagerly, happy that someone was catching on. "Before the witch's final breath, she found a way to cheat her death. By cutting off her cursed hand, she kept her grip upon our land. She reaches from beyond the grave . . ."

"To make good men her wicked slaves," Simon finished, starting to believe Josh.

"Yes, exactly!" Josh exclaimed. "Don't you see what's happening to us? This is all proof! Shadyside isn't just some hotbed for psychos, all these massacres are connected to Sarah Fier. The witch's curse is real!"

"Fine. Let's assume that the witch has been possessing people for some messed up vendetta," Kate finally gave in.

"No, but," Kimberly sighed, confused. "This isn't the same. This— this isn't just someone going crazy and trying to kill us. This is two people that are supposed to be dead. One of them has been dead for three decades! Why is she so mad at us?"

"I saw her."

Everyone turned to Sam and Deena, who were standing in the doorway.

"Last night," Sam elaborated. "I don't— I don't know . . . I thought I hit my head, but . . . it was her."

Sam paused, breathing in shakily.

"I saw the witch."