xiii. something's wrong with tommy

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

' something's wrong with tommy '

' something's wrong
with tommy '

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Tommy was still quite shaken up by the time dinner rolled around. Meanwhile, Cindy was busy trying to figure out why Nurse Lane went nuts on him, and Lori really just wanted to eat and go to sleep.

"She said one way or another, I was gonna die tonight," Tommy told the table, which consisted of him, Lori, Cindy, Joan, and Gary.

"Spooky!" Gary joked, wiggling his fingers at Tommy and grabbing his shoulder.

"The kiddos are right," Joan spoke from beside Lori. "That's, like, totally witchy behavior."

"It's just, there must be some explanation," Cindy insisted. "The witch isn't real."

"Like what?" Tommy asked.

Lori, who'd just finished her plate, glanced at Joan and said, "Maybe she was on something."

Joan scoffed, "Drugs are peaceful, not violent."

"She wasn't talking about marijuana," Cindy spoke frustratedly.

"Just admit you're jealous that the witch wanted your hubby all to herself," Gary said, puckering his lips and wrapping Tommy in a hug.

Tommy shoved him off, "Be serious, man. Why would Nurse Mary wanna do something like that? Why would she want me dead?"

"Oh, she wouldn't," Gary said, turning to Joan. "But the witch might!"

The both of them started laughing and messing around. Tommy sighed and looked back at the Berman sisters.

"Hey, they're just joking," Lori soothed. "I'm sure it was nothing."

"Did you see her eyes?" Tommy asked, shaking his head. "There was something in there, something wrong."

Cindy and Lori exchanged a troubled look, jumping as the sound of loud clapping came from the front of the room.

"Alright!" Kurt shouted, getting on top of a table. "Chicks, dicks, listen up! We had a scary situation earlier, but we cannot let that mess ruin the most important night of our summer."

He paused for dramatic effect, "Tonight is Sunnyvale versus Shadyside. It is red versus blue. It is good versus evil. Tonight, we commencicate Color War!"