xvi. the outhouse is the way out

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

' the outhouse is the way out '

' the outhouse is
the way out '

tw: mention of
self harm (alice)

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Lori walked ahead, leaving her sister and Alice to their own conversation in the back. She had never been close to Alice, only seeing her on occasion when she used to come over to hang out with Cindy. So, she felt a little awkward standing so near them as they reconciled. Plus, Lori was too focused on getting out of the cavern to talk much.

"Guys," Lori called out, halting their conversation. She shone the flashlight along the walls, nearly gagging at the sight.

"What the hell," Alice breathed. "Flies? What is this stuff?"

"It's everywhere," Cindy quavered, now standing beside Lori.

Alice stopped in her tracks, looking to her left. There, fixed into the ground, was a large heart-looking blob. She stared at it in an almost disgusted awe.

"Cindy? Lori? . . . What is that?"

The sisters turned, seeing the large blob. Cindy grabbed onto her sister's arm.

"Let's get out of here," Lori suggested, glancing worriedly at her sister.

Alice continued towards the blob.

The girls' eyes widened as she reached out and flattened the palm of her hand against it, freezing in place.

"Alice?" Cindy panicked. Alice didn't move. "Alice?"

Lori pulled Alice off, "Alice, are you alright?"

Instead of answering, though, Alice screamed, pushing past the girls in fright. Lori and Cindy immediately followed after her, scared and concerned as to why she was screaming and running in all different directions. It was almost as if she was seeing things. What had that blob done to her?

When they finally caught up to Alice, she was laying on the ground, whimpering in pain. Lori gasped; A bone was sticking straight out of her leg.

"Cindy, you help her," Lori said, moving her sister in front of her. "I— I can't—"

"Yeah, I know," Cindy muttered, digging through her bag. "It's fine. I've got it."