ii. sunnyvale sucks

CHAPTER TWO

' sunnyvale sucks '

' sunnyvale sucks '

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Sunnyvalers could suck it.

None of them really gave a shit about the people who died in Shadyside. The only ones who bothered coming to the vigil were the ones who had to go. Even then, they couldn't hold still and show some respect for a little while. A fight broke out not too long in after Sam's new jock boyfriend made some rude remarks.

And now, as Kimberly leaned against her boyfriend's side trying to ignore her sore jaw from where a Sunnyvaler had nailed her, she listened intently to her friends' invigorating "speech."

"They think they can do whatever they want!" Kate yelled out to the rest of the bus, who cheered back. "They ruined our vigil, and then go waltzing back to their mansions like we're some reject pile that they can step on!"

"NO!" Kimberly and the others hollered.

"Well, we are not the reject pile!"

"NO!"

"This shit ends tonight!"

"YEAH!"

"What are we gonna do?!" Simon chimed in.

"We're gonna go kill those preppy assholes!" Kate answered, earning another round of loud cheers from everyone.

"When I say 'Shady', you say 'side'!" Simon yelled. "SHADY—"

"SIDE!"

"SHADY—"

"SIDE!"

"When I say 'Shady', you say 'side'!" Simon repeated. "SHADY—"

"SIDE!"

"SHADY—"

"SIDE!"

Deena, who had been sitting silently in the back of the bus, suddenly got up and waved her friends over.

"Guys, come here. Quick!" she said urgently.

Kimberly's face scrunched in annoyance as she spotted two boys wearing skeleton masks in the car following their bus.

"What the hell . . ."

"You've got to be kidding me," Kate muttered.

"Hey, is that . . ." Simon trailed off, looking at the girl in the passenger seat.

"Sam," Deena finished, glaring.

Simon suddenly yanked his pants down and shoved his ass up against the back window, shouting, "Sunnyvale sucks!"

Kimberly stifled a laugh and steadied Simon as he nearly fell over. Meanwhile, Deena was busy with the water cooler.

"Open the door."

Kate hesitated.

"Open the door!" Deena repeated.

"Uh, are you sure this is a good idea?" Kimberly spoke up, thinking of the many possible ways this could end horribly.

"Yeah," Deena replied, staring intently at the car. "On three. One—"

"Deena—" Kate interrupted.

"Two!"

"Deena!" Kate said again, more urgently this time.

"What?"

"Your nose!" Kimberly gasped, noticing the blood oozing out of Deena's nose.

It happened all at once:

Deena, getting startled by the blood, let go of the cooler, which then flew straight out of the back of the bus and into the front of the red car driving behind them. Kimberly almost couldn't watch as the car started swerving dangerously, right off the road and into the woods.

Yeah, it was a fantastic idea.