xiv. names on the wall

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

' names on the wall '

' names on the
wall '

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

One thing that Cindy and Lorraine Berman had in common was that they both tried their hardest to be as perfect as they could.

While Cindy was normally the more high-strung one, Lori was more of a "perfect what you've got!" kind of girl. But it was becoming increasingly hard for Lori to keep in high spirits when her feet were aching and they continued to blindly trudge through the dark woods after Alice and Arnie.

"Alice!" Cindy shouted, also growing irritated. "Alice! Come on, it's disgusting in here!"

"We're close, Berman, hang in there!" Alice shouted from further in the front.

"Alice!" Cindy shouted, going ignored.

"Oh!" Lori gasped, tripping on a tree root. Tommy caught her by the arms from behind, helping her back up. "Thank you. God, it's so dark in here I . . . Babe, are you okay?"

Tommy blinked heavily, looking as if he were about to pass out. He looked sick, almost.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he sniffed.

Before she could question him further, Alice screamed.

"Alice?" Cindy asked worriedly, hurrying with the others towards her.

When they arrived, Alice was climbing out of a hole in the ground.

"Watch your step," she said, patting the dirt off her knees.

Cindy shone her flashlight in the ditch for a better look.

"Is someone digging a grave?" Tommy asked, causing Lori to hold his hand for comfort. She really didn't want to be here, but it was too late now.

"Graves," Alice corrected, pointing out the other holes.

"Mary," Tommy mumbled, squeezing Lori's hand tighter. "Hey, where's the, uh . . ." he trailed off, picking the journal up from the ground.

"The X's, look. Look," he pointed on the map. "Look, here. Here. She was marking where she dug."

Alice's eyebrows furrowed. She grabbed the book off Tommy and flipped to another page, reading, "But without her hand, her grip on the land holds firm, and the curse will last until body and hand unite."