Chapter One

The school day was moving slow and boring as typical. Class was about through and all Niall could think about was how his fingers were itching to get back to his guitar. A part of him knew he was more than just a small town boy attending high school classes, but for now he'll just have to push through it.

The school bell rang through out the halls notifying the school day was through. Before most of the class could even gather their bags, Niall had booked it out of the room. He walked as quickly as he could to the band room. He needed to grab his guitar and get home to write a song that had been taunting him for the past few hours.

In Niall's rush he bumped into a guy taller than his 5'8 stature. He glanced up to see who he was inconveniencing and was shocked to see it was Harry, who was exiting the band room.

"H-hey. Sorry!", Niall squeaked out.

Harry replied in a rush, "Yeah, no problem. Can you move? I'm in a bit of a hurry, mate."

"Ah, ye-yeah, my bad. So sorry.", Niall replied with an accidental higher pitched tone.

As Harry went on his way, Niall quickly checked his cheeks to see they were indeed red. The two had never spoken two words to one another until this point, but Niall did have to admit he knew he had a crush nonetheless. Unfortunately for him, guys like Harry didn't like guys like Niall. The little guy. Shy and timid.

Niall grabbed his guitar case and went on his way. Luckily his mum would be picking him up today, otherwise he'd have a long trek ahead.

Within twenty minutes Niall was in his room with pen and paper in hand. As he was pulling out his guitar he noticed an immediate issue. It wasn't his guitar.

He looked for clues to see who's guitar he had accidentally snatched. 'HS' was carefully scribbled on the back of the guitar, Niall noticed to his surprise. He had somehow gotten ahold of Harry's guitar, though he had no idea he even played. Niall couldn't think of anyone else with the initials 'HS' and he had seen Harry exiting the band room earlier. It had to be his.

Deciding he still had to get out and create the song that had been brewing in him all day, he delicately strummed Harry's guitar. It felt weirdly intimate to Niall. Someone's instrument is basically an extension of them, like another bone or necessary organ.

Niall let the inspiration flow. The words and tune came to him naturally. Nothing else had ever felt so right. He got so into his work it became lost to even himself.

Imagine Niall's shock when he came to, rising from a daze. He had been so into this particular song it was as if soul had left his body to create it, he had essentially blacked out. Niall went into listening his own recording with fresh ears not knowing what he'd hear.

The sang rang through his headphones sounding of pure devotion. Or infatuation. One thing Niall knew was this was the most beautiful song he had ever heard, let alone created, and it was definitely about his crush on Harry.

Niall knew this song could never grace another's ears. He's always intended to create music that was close to his heart, but this was too much. Too deep. Too personal. Too revealing.

He also knew that if Harry ever found out about this song, he would be mortified. Harry would think Niall was obsessed. How could one be obsessed with someone they've never had a true conversation with?

Niall put the song on a flash drive and deleted the file off his computer immediately. He buried the flash drive in the bottom of his backpack. Something so private had to kept on him, safe at all times.

Suddenly the exhaustion from hours of work caught up to Niall. Thankfully he had no homework due the next day and he could flop on his bed and pass out. Deep sleep reached Niall gracefully fast.