Bedtime Stories (Crossmare ❤️)

"Father, may I borrow the book about the Princes for tonight?" A young Cross asked XGaster softly. Cross' father gave him a dismissive hand. "Return it by morning Cross." "Yes sir." Cross suppressed his joy as he grabbed the book from his father's shelf, running with the worn book to he and Chara's shared bedroom. Cross was no older than 10, Chara being 6. The two resided in a comfortably huge mansion, their father being a famous scientist for his facinating research of humans and monster souls. In this world, they were among the surface world, and always were...

   "Is that the book again?" Chara grumbled as he stared at his older brother from the top bunk of the bed. "Yeah? It's my favorite!" Cross smiled brightly up to the other as he opened the book, titled "Tree of Feelings". "But it's so borrringg.." Chara whined. "The stupid dark prince just has a tantrum, hurts people, traps his brother, and LEAVES! You seriously don't believe that thing do you?" Cross glared up at the younger, scowling. "His name is Nightmare! He gets hurt for being who he is, bravely protecting the apples of Negativity. Yeah the book has a sad ending, but, it's not even ended yet. I think that Dream got free, and now is trying to help his brother because he feels bad for being a dummy.." He scowled further at Chara's laugh. He sighed, Cross knew Chara didn't understand.

   That night, while the house went to rest, and sleep fell over the brothers. Cross hugged his favorite book close, dreaming peacefully. A shadowy figure watched the young child, curiousity in his cyan eye. "..." The dark figure couldn't help but smile, and fade.

   "Cross you've got to be fucking SHITTING me right now." Chara hissed to his older brother, his spirit body floating around the other with a deep scowl. A lot had happened over the years, Cross being 26 of age now, and his younger brother only existing in his mind as a subconscious spirit. Kept alive by their fused half souls. Chara was whining, protesting, as the older brother got dressed in his fluffy attire. "Chara I just found out that my favorite childhood storybook, had a MAP in the cover of it, of the TOWN THE LEGEND TOOK PLACE AT! Of course I have to go!" Cross slipped on his scarf, tucking the book in his jacket. "But it's a 16 hour drive across the countryyy..." Chara whined, floating dejectedly. "It'll be fine you baby. I just want to go take a look. It's not like anything can hurt us." Cross sighed as he left his crappy little apartment he had bought himself after escaping his father.

   Chara frowned, fizzling away to retreat in their shared soul. Cross eagerly left the little apartment, getting in his car. He placed the map out on the dashboard, starting the long drive.

   At around 15 hours, Cross was finally growing a bit tired. Though he eagerly chugged down a few energy drinks about 10 hours into the trip. He perked as he noticed the hotel he booked finally coming into sight. Meaning he was only 30ish minutes away from his desired location. The hotel was stupidly cheap, run down, and dusty. Looking more than abandoned if it weren't the weakly flickering sign that loomed over it. "Stargate Hotel now Open for Business!" Cross mockingly read aloud, pulling into the parking lot. He quickly noticed there was one other car in the whole lot. He raised a brow, but didn't care as he left the car and checked in. Going out to his room and crashing on the bed after locking it.

   It was well into the night. The moon shining bright overhead. The dark figure walked to the monochrome skeleton's car, chuckling deeply as he noticed the map on the dashboard. "... I suppose I chose correct..." His faded, echoey voice spoke. Nightmare closed his cyan eye, fading. "See you soon Cross.."

.
.
.

   Cross jolted awake with wide eyes, gasping as he gripped his chest. He gulped slightly, stumbling up to chug down a bottle of complementary water. "Sh-shit-" Chara meanwhile, was laughing his ass off. "Good job stupid! You brought us to a haunted hotel and fucking ghost town!" Cross gave the other a withering glare, smirking. "You know damn well, horrible nightmares means he is close, he was likely here!"

   "Oh my god Cross shut u p- I swear to god, you would be the one to want a King of Nightmares and Guardian of Negative apples to stalk you." Cross' face felt a little hot with purple blush as he grew embarrassed. "It's not like that!" "Who the fuck are you kidding, I'm literally attached to your soul. I KNOW YOU YANKED IT TO THE PICTURE OF A GOOP MASS DARK PRINCE-" Cross only grew further embarrassed as he headed to the car. "Shut up! God I hate you-" Chara had snickered, floating over to the car. He picked up a small bundle of purple and white lilies. "Aww~ Crossy look~ Your stalker left you... flowers..." Chara shut up as he stared at a note. His eyes widened in shock.

   Cross raised a brow, quickly yanking the two items from his ghostly brother. He held the bundle of lilies gently, the note not so much. As he read, the tighter he gripped the poor sheet of parchment. '𝓓𝓮𝓪𝓻 𝓒𝓻𝓸𝓼𝓼, 𝓘 𝓪𝓶 𝓮𝓪𝓰𝓮𝓻𝓵𝔂 𝓪𝔀𝓪𝓲𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓪𝓻𝓻𝓲𝓿𝓪𝓵. 𝓟𝓵𝓮𝓪𝓼𝓮, 𝓯𝓸𝓵𝓵𝓸𝔀 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓲𝓷𝓼𝓽𝓾𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓼 𝔀𝓻𝓲𝓽𝓽𝓮𝓷 𝓸𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓫𝓪𝓬𝓴 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓹𝓪𝓻𝓬𝓱𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽. 𝓘'𝓵𝓵 𝓼𝓮𝓮 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓼𝓸𝓸𝓷... ~𝓨𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓼 𝓣𝓻𝓾𝓵𝔂, 𝓝𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽𝓶𝓪𝓻𝓮.' (Dear Cross, I am eagerly awaiting for your arrival. Please, follow the instructions written on the back of the parchment. I'll see you soon... ~ Yours Truly, Nightmare.). Cross grinned widely, looking to Chara with a huge giddy grin. "I told you so! I fucking TOLD YOU-" Cross got into the car, delicately placing the bundle of lilies in the passenger side seat.

   "Cross wait- This might not be a good idea- The KING OF NEGATIVITY, is waiting for you. A fucking mass genocidal murderer!" Chara read over the instructions. "He wants to see you at midnight anyway, pleanty of time to turn back now. It's still only 9 AM-- Besides these instructions are weird. 'Gather the items of which I've lost. Then lay them to rest on my favorite bed of all.' like what the fuck does THAT mean-" Chara grumbled, setting down the note as he crossed his arms. "It means, find his favorite book, his crown, the flag they made together, and his journal." Cross hummed as he drove. "Then put it all on a flowerbed of lavenders."
   "... WHATEVER DUDE! I give up. You do whatever the fuck you want. Though if I have to share our soul with another person I'll go fucking mental. Our soul is crowded as is." The younger huffed before vanishing. Cross gave a triumphant smile, having zero hesitation as he left to the town where it all happened...

   Cross had wandered through the village for hours on end, slowly gathering the items he needed. He was smiling giddily as he walked over the overgrown ruins. The town was more plant than town, with the ruins being in horrible disrepair.

   But Cross was elated nonetheless. He had walked to his final destination, the massive, wilted apple tree that stood in the center of the village, guarded by rusted cast iron gates. He pushed open the gate, grimacing as the gates hinges screamed in protest at being moved. He carefully squeezed inside the gate, smiling as he noticed the lavenders that thrived around the tree. He laid out the tattered, and dirty golden flag with a sun and moon emblem on the front. Setting down the two books side by side, then Nightmare's crown. After, he sat criss-cross, munching on a green apple for his lunch. Using one of his summoned knifes to cut it into slices as he ate. Cross watched as behind the tree, the sun started to slowly fade and set. He knew he had a lot of time to kill. So he occupied it by reading over his childhood book once more. Cross managed to read it a total of 4 times before an alarm on his phone was set off, which he promptly turned off. Cross smiled, noticing it was only twenty more minutes before he could meet his beloved king.

   He followed the instructions, summoning a knife, and scratching off a bit of bone from his arm, letting the dust sprinkle over the items. He swiftly healed and stabbed the knife into the ground, all the way to the hilt, embedding it between the thick roots of the tree.

   Cross waited painstakingly, before finally, the tree Infront of him, started to move, smooth and fluent, like a living creature. Slowly, black, tar-like sap bled from the tree, forming into the solid figure and body of the tall, King of Nightmare's himself. He opened his bright cyan eye to stare down at the kneeling Cross, four tentacle bursting from his back.

   Cross stared up at the other in awe and slight disbelief. His heterochromatic eyes wide and trembling with excitement, slight terror as well.

   "... Thank you, my knight..." The other finally spoke. Cross fell over, having fainted at the sound of the other.

(Listen, I was in a Crossmare mood, You'll get your BloodLust soon. Part two of this anyone?