Water

Aito knelt by the creek on the outside of the camp as he wanted to wash the dirt off his hands. He sniffled a little wiping his cheek with the back of his hand.

"Are you okay?" Katara asked softly seeing him cleaning the dirt off his knees.

"I'm okay, I just don't know why the old man was mean," aito splashed a little in the creek as she sat next to him.

"We'll he's always been like that, he trained me to be a water bender but I had to fight him first," Katara pursed her lips. Zuko was busy trying to stop Ren from attacking pakku.

"He sounds mean all the time," aito mumbled a little waving his little hands around to get the water off.

"How did you find out you were a water bender miss?" Aito asked looking up at her.

"I use to live in the South Pole, and I got mad at my brother so when I stomped on the snow I accidentally shot him across the village with the snow," Katara chuckled a little at the memory, Sokka always got caught up in her bending.

"Are there other water benders?" He tilted his head to the side.

"Yea all in the North Pole there's a lot," she smiled gently at him.

Aito pulled his knees to his chest and set his chin on top of them. He looked deep in thought as he stared at the water in the creek.

"Okay," he sighed a little closing his eyes. Katara frowned a little confused. What did that mean? Okay? That's it? There was obviously something on the kids mind.

"Is something bothering you?" She asked confused.

"Don't tell my papa," he said quickly after.

"Depends, what happened?" Katara knitted her brows together more confused and a little concerned.

"Don't tell papa... but are you out mom?"

Kataras eyes widen horrified and her heart dropped. We're they talking to loud? Did he hear someone else talking? Oh fuck Zuko is going to be pissed when-

"What makes you think I'm your mom?" She played it off.

"The way you and papa fight, and how your the only water bender he's friends with, Ren doesn't know but I've been thinking about it for a while," aito sighed a little as he shuffled to kneel to the water and splash a little again.

His hands glowed for a moment while the water cling onto him, and when he brought his hands back up the scratches were gone on his palms. Katara covered her mouth a little... he was a water bender too, they were the only water benders from the South Pole, it hurt a little more than she would've thought knowing she couldn't teach him. She didn't think she would feel something for the child.

"When did you find out you could bend?" Katara asked softly as he wiped his hand on his clothes.

"A month ago, it's my secret, papa says we have to be careful because we're by earth benders," aito nodded as he crossed his legs.

"Your smart for a kid, I'll give you that," she inhaled deeply.

"I like puzzles,"

Katara laughed a little but she frowned looking at the creek.

"I won't tell papa I know your our mom, I know he's mad at you," he whispered, Katara gulped a little.

"Thank you aito, I wish I could've been there for you and your brother but I don't think I'd be a good mom for you two, I was really excited to meet you when I was pregnant," she whispered back and he looked at her confused.

"Is it because of my sister you didn't want to come back?" He asked.

"Yea that's part of it, if you still have questions when your older you can come ask me but there's some things you just won't understand until your a few years older," she gulped a little as she closed her eyes. She remembered seeing her first baby come into the world not moving or crying, she remembered her daughters lifeless body, she was just a baby who didn't even get a chance yet.. 

"It's okay, papa says sometimes people don't know how to make the words when they think so they need time," aito picked at the grass next to him.

"Well if you need a teacher I know master pakku is a grouch but I'm sure he'll teach you," Katara told him gently.

"I thought you were the best water bender ever? You taught the avatar," he raised a brow.

Katara looked over her shoulder to make sure Zuko wasn't near by.

"I'll teach you one thing, but promise to never use it on your brother or father," Katara smiled back at him. He nodded eagerly to see a real water bender.

She lifted her hand to raise the water then flicked her wrist to make a small snap of it and circle the water in her hand and snapped it again like a whip.

"It's a water whip, first trick I really learned from the scrolls," Katara explained and aito nodded copying her posture. He lifted his hand focusing intensely, the water followed a little but dropped.

"I got it," aito huffed as he was now determined.

He raised his hand again copying Katara and snapped his wrist weakly but it made a small snap of the water.

"I did it! Katara I did it!" Aito gasped amazed and she smiled gently.

"You'll be a good bender, but for now keep it a secret between you and me," Katara stood up and aito nodded understanding.

She walked away as aito watched a little. He inhaled a deep breath letting it sink in, that was their mother, and he was like her... her eyes and her bending, he hoped his papa wouldn't be mad at him for it... his eyes weld up a little at the thought.