Fate Steps In

Brian opened the door to his apartment, feeling frustrated. He thought to himself, "damn why didn't I stop her from leaving the pet store?" He looked down at his Superman Tshirt, ah she probably wouldn't have been into a comic book geek anyway.

He's sat down on the couch and sighed. What was he thinking, he had a lot to offer. Nice apartment, nice guy, he chuckled to himself, at least he showered, that's not something every comic book fan could say.

No sense obsessing, what was done was done. He decided to feed the cats, throw together some dinner and pop in a movie. About that time his phone rang, good ole Sal.

"Hey man what are you doing, let's go do something? Grab a beer and dinner." Sal suggested.

"Eh I dunno, I'm pretty tired. Busy week taping the show, a rare weekend when we're not traveling? Might just lay low."

"What? Come on man, that's why we should go out, we're never in town to enjoy ourselves and relax"

"Alright, meet you at Lucky Louie's in 15 mins", Brian said and ended the call. He looked at his 3 cats who were looking pretty irritated that he's gotten up off the couch. "Sorry boys, Daddy's going out with Uncle Sal."

He grabbed a hoodie, put on his shoes and headed out the door. No sense getting dressed up to go to the local corner pub.

A few blocks away Julie was settling in for her quiet night at home. She had her take out Chinese food out of the bag, no need to impress, she just grabbed a fork and sat down to watch a little tv, pig out on egg rolls and fried rice and be mellow.

That was working until she heard the knock on her door. She knew exactly who it was. Kelly.

She jumped up to answer the door.

"Girl, I tried to call you earlier, why didn't you answer? Let's go get a drink and catch up?" Kelly said.

"Yeah sorry Kel, I was walking into the pet store and I accidentally bumped into this guy while I was looking for my phone and I got sidetracked and forgot to call you back." Julie rambled on.

Kelly and Julie had been best friends sinc childhood, she saw the look in Julie's eye.

"A guy huh?", Kelly asked.

"Yeah we chatted for a second, he had cats too. He was cute in an awkward kind of way." Julie smiled. Damn why didn't she find a reason to talk to him a little longer.

Kelly rolled her eyes, "and let me guess, you got scared and bolted out of the store."

Julie nodded, "Why am I so afraid of being interested in someone?"

Kelly hugged her best friend, "because you gave your heart to a jerk and he treated you like dirt, but not all guys are like that." "Come on let's just walk down to the corner and grab a drink."

Julie smiled and laughed, "ok let me grab my purse." No need to get dressed up. They were just going to the corner pub for a drink.