2.8

June 15th, 2020
3:46pm

"Do you have to go home tomorrow?" Gavin asked as Harlow's head lay on his lap while she watched him play FIFA. He paused the game so she could sit up and snuggle into his side instead.

"Yeah," Harlow sighed. It was a great three days in Pocatello, but she needed to go back home. "But maybe you could come visit me next time."

"There's gonna be a next time?" Gavin asked, surprised.

"Of course," Harlow laughed. "You can't get rid of me that easy."

"Good. I don't want to, anyway." Gavin tickled her side, making her giggle and roll onto her back.

And they didn't kiss again.

Nope.

-

"Let's go to the mall before Harlow has to leave tomorrow!" Emmi shouted through the intercom. Her 'I'm almost a teenager' act was given up on the day before.

"Did you agree to this?" Gavin asked. He and Harlow were sitting at the breakfast counter, eating some fruit.

Harlow shook her head. "She hasn't talked to me all day."

And fifteen minutes later, they were all buckled into the Suburban.

-

Gavin had a plan.

A big plan.

Involving special invlovement with a jewlery store, his Dad, and his dad's camera.

The girls went off to Claires and Justice and all things girly, while Gavin tugged the boys of the family along on his special mission.

"Why are we here?" Daxton whined, trudging behind his brothers and father into the jewlery store. "I thought you said we were going on a special mission!"

"Yeah," Brock agreed, laying his arms on the back of a chair. "What's so special about a dumb ring store?"

"Gavin has to do something special, boys," Shay explained. "C'mere."

"What is he doing?" Daxton asked, his eyes wide. "Is he gonna ask Harlow to marry him? Isn't that what these rings are for?"

"He better not be!" Shay laughed. A little too loudly for a small jewlery store.

"No, Dax. I'm getting her a promise ring."

"What the heck is a promise ring?" Brock's eyebrows furrowed.

"Do you have to say 'no shakin' with it?" Dax asked next.

"No, that's Mom and Dad's thing," Gavin chuckled. "A promise ring says that I'll always be there for her, even if I'm far away."

"Oh!" Brock laughed. "I knew that."

"Me too!"

Shay laughed, taking out the camera. "Alright, Mission Ask Harlow to be Gavin's Lady Friend has commenced. We are in the jewlery store."

"Oh Lord," Gavin rolled his eyes.

"Excuse me, miss? What rings do you have so my son can ask a girl he really likes to be his girlfriend?" Shay asked obnoxiously, the camera in his hand.

Startled, the woman behind the counter nervously led them to a section of jewlery. Very expensive jewlery.

"See any you like?" Shay asked his son, camera hovering over the glass.

"That one," Gavin said, pointing to a ring with an infinity sign on it. "Dad, can we engrave it?"

"I suppose," Shay shrugged. "Alright, let's get this done."

-

"Harlow, c'mere for a second!" Gavin called through the intercom, hoping the nervousness he felt didn't lace through his voice.

"Yeah?" She poked her head around the corner, walking into the living room, where everyone was sat on the couch.

Literally.

The whole Butler household was sat on the couches.

Shay was filming, too.

"Harlow. Harlow, Harlow, Harlow," Gavin muttered with a small smile, patting for her to sit next to him. She nervously did as told, feeling awkward with all of the eyes on her. "I got you a present."

Harlow slowly took the little box from Gavin's hands, the stares intense. She slowly opened the box, eyes landing on the infinity ring. "It's beautiful," She gasped, looking up and Gavin and gave him a little hug.

"Read the inside," He urged.

On the inside of the band, it read, 'H + G, for texting isn't as bad as people think'. Harlow laughed a little.

"Alright, dude, if you don't ask her, I will!" Brock groaned. "This is cute and all, but it's a bit too much."

"Ask me what?" Harlow lifted her eyes from the box.

"Are you really that oblivious?" Avia rolled her eyes. "He wants you to be his girlfriend!"

"Really?" Harlow whispered, looking up to find a blushing Gavin. He only nodded small, before Harlow leaned forward and kissed him. "Does that answer your question?"

"Yeah," Gavin said breahtlessly, kissing her again, despite his parents being in the same room.

"Alright, alright!" Shay said loudly, making the two laugh and separate. "That's enough."

"Shay, let them live a little." Colette laughed, swatting his arm. "I'm very happy for you two."

"Why are we treating this like they're getting married?" Emmi asked in confusion. "Wow, you guys are overrated."

#emmiismewhilewritingthis