02 | karma is a bitch

I took your heartI did things to you only lovers would do in the dark— Still Don't Know My Name by Labrinth

I took your heart
I did things to you only lovers would do in the dark
— Still Don't Know My Name by Labrinth

A DEEP GROAN escaped my lips as the morning rays that seeped through the glass windows hit my eyes, intensifying my splitting headache which was a daunting reminder of my previous night's escapade

My colleagues in New York wanted to celebrate my accomplishment of getting my rival fired once I returned, much to my disinterest. They assumed it was a personal attack — a vendetta of some sort — but they were wrong, as usual. Getting him fired meant nothing to me; I simply did what I had to do. He was a menace to my colleagues and me, taunting us daily like he had nothing else better to do with his life. So, I decided to give that to him. Now, he didn't have anything better to do with his life other than to wallow in self-pity and despair.

I did end up dragging myself to a jazz bar, which was better than drowning my miserable night at a club. I preferred the serene silence and soft clinking of glasses, accompanied by hushed conversations, than the pulsating techno music and screaming.

Ignoring the harsh glare of the sun, I glanced down at the naked woman between my legs whose lips and fingers were wrapped around my cock. It was a horrible attempt to brighten my morning since it only added to the misery in my head. I gripped her shoulders carefully and pushed her away, cringing at the sound of my dick head popping out of her mouth. Christ. I always hated having my dick sucked so early in the fucking morning.

"Leave."

A frown dominated her features as she pushed herself up and crossed her arms over her breasts. "Do you even know who I am?" she hissed.

I knew exactly who she was, having heard stories around the office, and allow me to say that she didn't have the best kind of reputation in the journalism field. Simply said, she was notorious for being a homewrecker.

I shuffled out of bed and grabbed my boxer briefs from the pile of clothes on the carpeted floor, pulling them on before facing her again.

"Valerie, was it?"