14 | human burrito

In my mind you're the angel on the painted glassLooking for high divine connectionI'm a lover in need of confession— Holy Ghost by BORNS

Looking for high divine connection
I'm a lover in need of confession
— Holy Ghost by BORNS

In my mind you're the angel on the painted glassLooking for high divine connectionI'm a lover in need of confession— Holy Ghost by BORNS

INNER PEACE.

Inner peace.

Inner— "Fuck."

Unable to ignore the several incoming calls anymore, I grabbed my phone from the nightstand, squinting at the sudden flash of light.

Tonight, I was committing murder. Tomorrow, my name was going to be in every news headline. And for the rest of my life, my mother and sister would be seeing me in prison clothes. Funny how life turned out this way.

I wiped a hand over my face in annoyance, grumbling a slew of curses before swiping the green button. "What the fuck do you want?" I growled.

"We're leaving for Boston in an hour," Blaire said, her voice carrying the exact agitation I was feeling at the moment.

"At three in the goddamn morning? Are you insane?"

"I've deemed myself insane since the second I decided you were the perfect person to be my fake boyfriend," she snapped back. "I hate this as much as you do."

"Then don't go. Simple."

"It's my job."

"A job that has nothing to do with me being your contractual boyfriend." I rubbed my forehead with my forefinger and thumb. "I'm hanging up. Good night."

I chucked my phone across the mattress and rolled over to the other side when the sound of my ringtone began disrupting the tranquility of the night once again. I mentally cursed myself, knowing that my suffering was my own doing. If I had known three A.M calls were part of the agreement, then I wouldn't have signed that goddamn contract.

I listened to my phone ring until it cut off. Then I closed my eyes and drifted back into a dreamless state.

✱     ✱     ✱

Icy water pricked my skin, jolting me awake from my slumber. I pushed myself up as I coughed, raising my gaze to the she-demon standing by the side of my bed with an empty bucket in hand. My bedside lamp was switched on, its warm glow illuminating her frame. The aggravation from being woken up in the worst way possible vanished into thin air as I noticed the warm honey hues swirling with the deep caramels in her eyes. Somehow, it reminded me of our secret meet-ups in high school, the memories I had pushed aside for years resurfacing in my mind like an old wound opening up.