21 | sealed with a kiss

I believe, we believe our own liesSo gone, don't wanna let it go— All of It by Alex Angelo

So gone, don't wanna let it go
— All of It by Alex Angelo

SCRUNCHING MY FACE in annoyance, I attempted to swat away the object that was poking my nose

SCRUNCHING MY FACE in annoyance, I attempted to swat away the object that was poking my nose. I rolled over to my side with my eyes still closed. Getting out of bed wasn't going to be an option until much later.

Another poke.

And then another.

My hand flailed clumsily in the air, but where I expected to hit something, there was nothing. What the fuck was happening? My mind was too muddled and exhausted to form anything coherent. And then I felt it — the light scrape of fingernails against my cheek. I instantly realized who was trying to wake me.

She poked my nose once more, and I swiftly grabbed her wrist.

"Blaire," I rasped. "Let me sleep."

She pressed harder onto my freshly healed nose, making me wince. "It's eight in the morning," she said.

"All the more reason to stay in bed."

"I'm hungry."

"And a big girl. I'm sure you can find your way through the breakfast buffet."

"But I want to have breakfast with you."

My eyes snapped open at her words, and I shuffled over to lie on my back so I could see her. She was sitting on the bed with her legs crossed, dressed in a beige hoodie and tattered jeans, her long wavy hair falling gracefully down her back. Her eyes were dull and humorless, the shadow beneath indicating that she hadn't gotten a decent sleep last night.

At least I could say that I wasn't the only one who stayed up until dawn. And while I'd like to think that our little endeavor had caused her a night's wink, I wasn't getting my hopes up of her defrosting anytime soon.

"I'll join you if you give me a kiss on the lips," I challenged, tucking an arm under my head.

I was expecting a sassy retort and possibly another death threat, but what I received instead was a peck on the lips that rendered me speechless. I blinked once, twice, too stunned to register what she just did. Her eyes were closed as she brushed her lips against mine, her palms pressing gently against my bare chest. My body stilled beneath her touch as if it had been bewitched into submission.