Chapter 2

Techno's POV

A female walked up to me, seemingly wanting to get away from the crowd. She leaned back against the wall, silently listening to the music and chatter around her. I watched the unknown person out of the corner of my eye. "Can you remember any of the names?" She asked suddenly, but something was off about her voice; it was more masculine. "No, not really." I was surprised I was answering but the person entices me. "Can't remember me either?" I looked at the face trying to place a name "No, should I?" They didn't seem all too bothered by my answer, just smiled and looked at me. "Perhaps it'll come to you. Tell me about the people you do remember."

"Now, where to begin... Ah. Far corner. The irresistible so-and-so with the mustard-colored coat." I bobbed my head in his direction, they followed my gaze.

"Irresistible?" They questioned "Oh, come on, a nine, surely?" I felt bad for my brother, people usually say he's the cute one. "Seven." They said, "He's called Wilbur, he's heir to the army. Engaged to the pink beauty opposite." Before I could finish the person interrupted me "Oh, she's an eight." I continued "Isn't she? Yes, they dazzle in public, those two. They don't disappoint in private either. More of that another time, I think. Who's next? Ah, yes. Our flushed and freaky friend in purple. His name's Karl, makes documentaries for the news. Travels everywhere with merchants."

"You've probably never traveled with a merchant, have you?" The person asked, "No." "Pity. You really do meet the best people." They said with a small smirk on their face. "Tell me about the man with the... extraordinary eyes." He nodded his head to the left. "Prince George. He played temporary king for King Eret 2 years ago, you know. Flu." "Oh." "No one can quite make out why he left a rather powerful lord for a pub owner." I said recalling the memories "Oh. What about him?" They asked

"His name's Jschlatt. Fucking dull." They started to laugh, holding their hand over their mouth to hide their laughs.

3rd Person's POV

King Phil looks around to find his son making sure he didn't run off anywhere, he is surprised to find him talking to someone. Laughing even. The two were looking back his way so he turned back to his conversation, Phil recognized the female, knowing exactly who 'she' was. Smiling to himself he turned back to his conversation.

Techno's POV

"It's true, it's true. But..." The person was quieting his laughter-I'm sure they're a guy, wig and all-"the older gentleman beside him..." I was cut off by him"Oh, no, no, no. I know who that one is. That's Philza, the king. Um...King of the Arctic Empire, three sons. Great Fighter, Wise beyond his time..." "Old as hell." We said at the same time, reviving a small laugh between us. "Just so. Is it really true he has a god as a wife? I hope so. Better if he has one. We don't want anyone conventional around here." There was an increase in laughter for a moment, the crowd was laughing at one of Phil's stories again.

We left the ballroom and walked around the open floor of the castle. Phil insisted that people are able to stroll around this floor and look at the artworks. "Now, tell me about you." The male chuckled dryly, "Oh, God, you really don't remember." He laughed out amused. "No." I certainly wasn't entertained. "Hm. Dream. I'm one of the many people you danced with tonight." I widened my eyes, I danced with him? Surely I would've remembered. "Oh, you're here to try for Queen?" Dream shook his head

"Ah, this was a favor. That's not my normal line of work." "What is?" "I usually come here as a plus one to the rich, I make a wonderful partner for the night, I just stay off to the side or stand by them all night. Only if it's for the right price."

Dream took off his wig, showing his shorter blonde hair, I wasn't all too surprised by his reveal. So I continued to walk down the hall with the shorter male following behind, after discarding his wig off to the side. "You always wear a wig when you're out?" Dream laughed dryly "no that was a term in order for me to come tonight. Luckily for me this is my last job before I get a more normal job in town. Anyways, tell me about yourself."

"I paint." I answered shortly "Really? Care to show." Dream asked jokingly, almost challenging me. "This." I stopped at a wall of paintings, Dream looked at the paintings in front of us. "Ah. What, these are yours?" "Yes." I watched Dream study the paintings "Portraits?" "Mm, I don't like that word. It's so stuffy and traditional." Dream looked up at me as we started walking down the hallway again. "Oh, sorry. What are they, then?" Dream said looking past at some other paintings, "Mm, people, faces. They're the most interesting subject I've found so far. If you can think of anything more interesting, do let me know."

"Oh, I like them. It's as if there's no posing at all." Dream said with a soft smile "I despise posturing and pretentiousness and humbug. Don't you?" I said with a tired voice with a hint of venom "Is that why you took up painting?" "Maybe. Maybe it's just a good way to get behind closed doors." I shrugged, this was the most I have ever talked to a stranger. "Somebody's door in particular?" Dream asked teasingly. "Just doors generally. A facade is only useful as a marker for something one has to get behind or beyond. The surface is so dreary, don't you think? What people want to show of themselves, the idealized version, is of no interest to me. What people hide... that interests me." I said in a low tone, almost whispering as I walked around Dream, leaving him for a moment.

"But you get so close. Isn't it rather an intrusion?" Dream asked as he caught up to me. "It's very much an intrusion, yes. That's exactly what painting is. I use small tokens to remember the moments, nothing fancy, and natural light, which means that I can prowl around." Dream walked in front of me still looking at the paintings. "All the while, I'm getting closer and closer, and in the end, it's kind of like...Well, it's, uh..." Dream spun around and faced me with those green eyes "Intrusion." He said, "Intimacy." I said with a soft tone finding my words, a smile making a way into both our faces.

Dream was the first to move, following the sound of the music. I was close behind, he was a very intriguing person. Almost like a mystery that was waiting to be solved and he had me hooked. We walked back into the main ballroom. "Care to dance? I promise to pay attention this time." I held my hand out towards Dream who eyed me wearily before holding my hand. I guided us out to the dance floor and slowly started to dance with the rest of the crowd, following the steps.

"How would you feel about painting me?" Dream asked as we danced, I gave him a little spin before pulling him back in. "Well, I'd consider it. On one condition." I made eye contact with him as he said "Go on." "When you come to my studio, you leave the titles and disguises outside." I said as we walked off the dance floor. Dream scoffed "I'd be happy to." There was a pause as we went back to our original spot near the wall. Dream waved and walked away slowly, "I'll see you then Techno." He said it loud enough for only me to hear it. I watched him walk away and disappear into the crowd.

I was stunned that Dream knew my identity, I never even told him my name. Phil made his way over to me once Dream walked away. "Where did you disappear too?" Phil asked, I was still staring into the crowd after Dream. "Who are you looking for?" Phil asked even though he knew exactly who.

"The first person I've ever talked with that didn't treat me like a prince, bowed, or curtsied."