Chapter 27: Past

For a split second, the whole room was silent. The Cullen's looked so shocked, I thought they were going to fall over and die. Then everything went down hill. Shouts and protest were thrown across the room, and people turned and stepped outside, looking for Edward; or should I say Lucifer?

Finally, my patience wore down to nothing.

"SHUT THE HELL UP DAMMIT!" I scream. Everyone suddenly froze and looked back at me.

Annoyance, irritation, frustration, and anger over this whole thing tied a thick knot in my chest. I'm pretty sure steam would be coming out of my ears if I was a cartoon character, and my breathing became shallow.

"I'm sorry that this was not known of earlier, and I'm sorry I didn't do anything about it, seeing as the Cullen's have been here almost a week," I start in a deathly calm voice. Everyone looks ready to bolt.

"BUT I ONLY JUST FOUND OUT," -I pause and glance at the clock- "FOURTY-FIVE MINUTES AGO! FIVE MINUTES BEFORE THIS SHIT STARTED! I'VE BEEN WORKING AND TRYING TO FOCUS ON THIS WHOLE MEETING AND WAR THING! SO EXCUSE ME IF I HADN'T REALIZED HE WOULD BOLT!" I scream. My voice echoes through the room and everyone grimaces.

It was hauntingly silent.

I step off the table and shove my way through the crowd without a word. No one says a thing as they watch me storm out, leaving the doors to slam loudly in my wake.

My wings snapped out and I threw myself into the air, quickly throwing my hair into a messy ponytail.

Sighing, I glance at the world below me. I could see all the open plains, forests, and many houses. I wouldn't dare go above the city in the fear of being sighted.

I rub my forehead, feeling a headache coming on. The world as I knew it, had fallen apart into a big mess in a matter of days. It was so hard to understand, and Jade seemed to think I played a lead role in trying to save us. I didn't see how.

I wasn't even twenty-one yet and not that experienced when it came to many other Angels. Why not choose one of them? Why me? Was it even me? And what about being Elemental? Was I really?

To many questions and not enough answers.

Suddenly, an idea hit me. Alice, if that was even really her name, had been with Lucifer. Had known something. Had been something to him. She's got to know something.

I changed direction and whipped back around. The wind felt great as it stung my face as I flew faster. When I landed on the roof of the hotel, I retracted my wings and felt a slight pang of sadness. No more freedom, I was back to Hell, and what would soon become actual Hell. Unless I had something to say about it.

I leaned against the edge and waited two minutes before the short, black haired pixie came out and made her way over to me. I kept my expression neutral as she approached hesitantly, as if I would suddenly strike. She knew what I wanted, but couldn't help being slightly nervous.

It was kinda weird. I'd always seen her being energetic and confident.

She stopped exactly eight and a half feet away from me. We stared at each other for a while. Honestly, I wanted this to be done with. But, she had forever and I had all day, for now.

Finally she sighed when she realized I wasn't going to speak.

"It started when I was a child," she began, suddenly getting a distant look on her face. "You know I don't remember much from my human life. I hardly even remember my parents, or if I was married, or had siblings. I didn't even understand why I had visions as a human or was changed by James.

"Until Edward- I mean Lucifer, came to me, saying I was in his debt. I thought he was crazy, and never saw him coming. But then he explained, my parents had messed with the wrong people. It's why I was changed, so Lucifer could get what he wanted."

Venom welled up in Alice's eyes and she looked at me.

"I never wanted to do any of it, but I didn't have a choice. He refused to kill me and tortured and starved me. I destroyed so many lives Bella," Alice cries and let's out a sob.

I feel myself crumble and start to feel really bad for Alice. She was telling the truth, I could see it.

Alice calmed down and continued.

"Lucifer was onto something. I remember when he visited your house, you were very young," -I nod remembering- "and Lucifer had something against your family. But he never told me what. But he wants you, knows you're special in some way."

I snort. "I'll just add him to my never ending list of people who want me for some bad reason, or want me dead."

She shakes her head. "I wish I could be more helpful," she mutters.

I move over and place a hand on her shoulder, giving her a small smile.

"It'll all work out in the end."

"I hope so," she murmurs and heads back inside.

I watch her go before sighing and looking up into the sky. I should really go back inside and round everyone up for sleep, but I couldn't grasp the courage to face Jasper. For some reason, I felt really bad about this whole thing and feared he'd reject and hate me forever.

I scoffed. What the hell is wrong with me? Suck it up, you're turning into a wuss, I tell myself. What's he to you? Nothing.

Even though I kept telling myself this, I couldn't seem to believe it. No matter how hard I tried.

But what was Jasper to me? He was just another mission, wasn't he?

A vampire that used to be apart of the Cullen's. That all he was.

Just another mission.

But even I wasn't fooling myself.