Chapter 34: Funeral

A large funeral for Spence and the others that had fallen was held a week after everything happened. I had awoken three days after the attack, true to my thoughts, with a major migraine. Also to find Krista had been one of the fallen. After Maria had ripped Spence's head off, Krista immediately became so depressed, that she had one of Maria's minions kill her.

Up until today, I haven't seen, or talked to anyone. Keeping myself holed up in my room at Charlie's house, I wallowed in grief and guilt. It should have been me that died, it's all my fault their dead. They should have lived. I could have done something, I should've.

But now they're dead.

Tensing from my perch on the window sill, I muttered a, "come in", before he had the chance to knock. The door opened and Landon's shadow fell over me as he took a seat on my bed. I didn't turn to look at him, keeping my gaze focused on the snow falling outside. The snow was probably my doing, seeing as the weather wasn't suppose to be cold enough for snow for a couple of months now.

"Everyone's waiting for you, especially him," Landon says quietly. He didn't have to specify, I knew exactly who 'him' was.

A pang of guilt shot through me before I went numb again. I had refused to see anyone until the funeral, and I knew it hurt Jasper a lot. He had tried to see me multiple times, but the Angels staying at my house had to turn him away.

I just couldn't face him, not in my state.

"I'm sorry," I mutter, my throat dry and my voice sounding dead.

Landon sighs quietly, shifting on the bed.

"It's not your fault you know? Really. There was nothing anyone -you- could do. Just come and see everyone, you don't have to talk. But they all miss you, and Jasper looks about ready to kill us to get to you," he laughs dryly.

I finally turn my head to look at Landon. His face splayed sadness and pain, but he tried to hide it by staring at my carpeted floor. I had had a hunch about Landon liking me, but I didn't want to believe it because I didn't like him like that.

I sighed softly before standing and moving toward Landon to get him to stand and hug him. My arms wrapped around his torso lightly. He hugged back with a slight squeeze of understanding.

"I'm sorry," I murmur softly pulling back. He glances down at me and smiles, a forced look I knew all too well. Shaking his head, he leads the way out and down the stairs.

Everyone was gathered outside, waiting to pile into the vans parked on the road side. The funeral was going to happen up top a hill not that far from the cemetery. Many people would already be there, his family and their close friends, some of the wolves and other vampires that had fought alongside us.

Once I shut the door behind me, not bothering to lock it, everyone quieted and stared at me. Charlie was the one to move and surprisingly give me a hug. Turning, he shooed everyone to the vans.

Charlie was driving one, so he stuck me in the back with Jasper and Lydia while Landon sat in the front. Jade also sat with us.

It was a silent ride there. I kept my eyes on the passing scenery because I wasn't ready to talk just yet. I figured if I waited until after the funeral was over, I wouldn't completely embarrass myself with a breakdown.

There were a few vehicles parked at the bottom of the hill when we arrived. They were already coated in a thin coat of snow, and it would just get worse. I wasn't in a good mood to try and stop the snow.

Piling out of the vans, we made our way up the hill were everyone else was. I sat with Charlie, the Cullen's, and Landon and Lydia. Charlie was on my left while Jasper was on my right. He grabbed my hand as Carlisle started speaking.