Chapter 3: Call

School went on as it usually did. Boring and useless as ever. I mean seriously! When are we ever going to need to count how many outcomes there are for making a sandwich with certain ingredients?! I seriously wonder if adults are just trying to ruin our lives for the fun of it.

On the even more annoying-er side of things, Edward wouldn't shut up the whole time through Biology, and wouldn't stop poking me at lunch to try and get my attention. Which, of course I ignored him by talking to the others. That was pretty amusing.

When the bell finally rang, my stuff was already packed away in my backpack, and I flew out of the classroom. Glancing around the halls, I don't notice any of the Cullen's so I quickly push past everyone in attempts to run out of the building. Five minutes later, I stumble out the front doors and take deep breaths. It's like trying to get through a hoard of bulls.

I straightened up and walked quickly to my truck. When I reached it, I glanced around and saw Edward hurrying over here. The others hurried to catch up with him, throwing confused glances at each other.

I let out a sigh and threw open the door to my truck. I throw my backpack into the passenger seat and scramble inside. Slamming the door shut, I fumble for the keys and shove them into the ignition. It sputters twice and roars to life on the third time, just as Edward arrives. I curse under my breath as Edward taps the window and I roll it down.

I quirk an eyebrow and question, "What?"

"Are you coming over later?" Edward asks after he gets over the shock of my bluntness.

I keep my face blank of emotions as I stare levelly with him. I really had to go to the grocery store because we were in real need of food and had nothing for dinner. I sighed and moved to get ready to roll up the window.

"I'll be over around seven." With that I roll the window up and back out of the parking space.

***

"Have a nice day!" the cashier said with fake cheerfulness as I took my receipt.

"Thanks!" I call over my shoulder as I push the cart out the automatic sliding doors.

It had gotten dark quickly, but the sun still showed so it wasn't completely dark, which I was thankful for. The time read 6:46, meaning I had about tens minutes to get home and drop all the groceries off, make a quick dinner, and head over to the Cullen's.

I wrinkled my nose and sighed as I loaded the groceries into the passenger seat. When everything was in, I pushed the cart back to the store and hopped back into the truck. It rumbled to life and I pulled out.

I tapped the wheel lightly as I drove down the road. It would only take about five minutes to get home, so I would still have plenty of time to make dinner. I never said I would be at the Cullen's exactly at seven, just around seven. I bet Edward didn't catch it thou.

I pulled into the driveway and quickly gathered everything before hurrying up to the door. Thanking whoever that my clumsiness hadn't kicked in yet. That made me pause in the process of turning the key in the door hole. It couldn't be happen-

I shook my head. I would have gotten a visit. I finished turning the key and entered the house. I dropped my backpack to the side and slipped my sneakers off. I shuffled to the kitchen and dropped everything on the counter. I then got dinner started.

Dad wasn't home yet, he had been taking the long shifts so I wrapped up the leftover food and stuck it in the fridge. I grabbed my keys and headed to the door. As I slipped my shoes on my phone started to ring. I finished with my shoes and quickly pulled out my phone.

Her name flashed brightly at me. I almost dropped the phone in shock. I quickly hit the answer button and brought the phone to my ear.

"Jade?"