#22

Rosalie got up from her seat on the couch and walked over to Magnus.

He was outside on the balcony.  Rosalie put a hand on his shoulder before leaning against the rail.

"I'm not used to feeling so...   Powerless."

Clary's cell phone rang from inside.

"Oh, my god!  Simon are you okay?" She said seeing his face on the screen again.

"Simon's fine. We've just been having a nice talk. You know he told me your greatest wish was to get to know your old man, which is funny, because it's always been my wish to get to know my daughter. And so, I'm here. And I'm waiting for you.  And frankly, well... Clarissa, I'm losing my patience." 

Valentine then took the Sword and slid it across Simon's throat.

Clary gasped and Valentine appeared in the screen again.

"The vampire has a half-hour, maybe 40 minutes, before he turns to dust. Come quick, Clarissa. He needs blood to survive." Valentine hung up.

"Portal me to the institute." Clary said

"Clary we can't. " Magnus said.

"Now!"

"Clary. Listen, I know how much he means to you. Jace and Luke are on their way. They'll save him. It's not safe for you to go. You need to remember that everything is at stake here not just Simon's life, but all the Downworld. " Rosalie tried to reason.

A few minutes passed and Magnus, Clary, and Rosalie appeared right outside the institute.

"Well, here we are." Magnus said.

"I want you to know I'm not going anywhere near that sword." Clary said.

"I don't care what happens to me, Clary. " 

"Woah, stop. Alec's gonna be okay. Simon's gonna be okay. We can do this. The three of us. " Rosalie said.

They went to go but stopped as Raphael appeared.

"Let go of my hands." Magnus yelled at the two vampires holding his arms.

Two more come over and went to grab Rosalie's arms but she just held up her hands, as if to say she wasn't going to do anything.

They just stood beside her in case she did.

"So you can use your magic against us? I'm sorry, Magnus. None of us wanted it to come to this."

"No, I'm here to save Simon. I'm not going to touch the Sword." Clary said.

"No, you're not." He said putting his hands on her arms.

"Stop this. Stop this now!" Magnus told him.

"If I don't do it, more Downworlders are on their way to do it for me. You're too close to her, Magnus."

"Raphael, you don't have to do this. We can make a deal. " Rosalie tried to reason.

"Quick and painless."  He went to bite her neck but was stopped by Jace.

"This ends now. " He said pointing a blade at his chest.

Luke grabbed the two off Magnus and the ones near Rosalie backed away.

"Listen up!" Luke said.

"You better be right about this, Luke. " Maia said.

"Clary may be able to activate the Sword, but I can destroy it. The Angel Ithuriel confirmed that in a vision." Jace said.