Little Baby Pink Cheeks

*Another AU where the Octonauts meet Peso at school.

"Run this by me again." Tweak marched alongside them as they trekked through the snow. "Why are we trying to hire a kid?"

It was a particularly nice day in Whitewood Antarctica. The sun was shining in a clear blue sky, and there were many children at play. Only the high school bells hadn't rung yet, and that was where the Octonauts where heading.

Inkling sighed, looking a little worried about his decision. Barnacles jumped to his aid. "Tweak, this kid has already graduated college. He's simply back in class to work on social skills. Dr. Galen thinks it would be a step toward a brighter future for him. That it would make life somewhat easier."

"Great." The rabbit rolled her eyes. "So he's messed up, too?"

"I won't have any of that talk." Barnacles warned her, narrowly dodging a group of chicks scampering after a ball. "Dr Galen recommended him for a reason. He's simply one of the best. I think the fact that he's already graduated college speaks volumes. And besides, I don't think it's fair to rule him out for his age. It probably already happens to him a lot. Imagine how he must feel."

To have all those smarts inside of you and not be taken seriously, just due to the little number of years you'd been alive? Tweak had to admit, at least to herself, that it certainly didn't sound fair. Actually, it sounded rather infuriating.

"Is this legal?"

Inkling spoke up this time. "With parental consent, yes. And I've already spoken to the parents. I've gotten his mother's permission, but it might be up to Peso to convince his father. The man seemed a little, well..." Inkling hunted for the right words. "Wound up."

Tweak shrugged, rolling her eyes. "Hmph. Whatever."

Barnacles sighed, but smiled slightly anyway. Tweak was a hard number. She liked things practical, plain and simple. He had to admire her persistence there. But sometimes, she could be hard to work with.

But hey, who was one to say he didn't appreciate a challenge?

The school gates came closer. The final classes were being held. There was a group of students outside, tossing not one, not two, but four balls around t each other, crating a dodgeball court of sorts, making getting into the school a feat for the Octonauts. Kwazii pulled his coat tighter around himself. "Some summer. I hope it's warmer inside."

"It should be." Barnacles assured him, lightly shaking his head and smiling. He didn't understand that cat at all sometimes. But who was he to judge, having grown up around snow?

Inkling unfolded a paper from on of the many sleeves of his snow coat. "Dr. Galen gave me the room address. He's confident that they'll let Peso out early. He pretty much sits in there with nothing to do anyway."

"So why's he here?" Dashi asked, bemused. Barnacles turned slightly to her. "Dr. Galen thinks it will make things much easier for Peso later on if he get's over his, and I quote, 'social phobias.' He thinks it might be a huge step for him if he can learn to make friends his own age. And this might lead to him being able to lead a steady and productive adult life." He turned back around towards a door labeled 'Special cases.' "I think this young penguin needs us just about as much as we need him."

Dashi considered this. They needed a medic, and in turn, this Peso needed to learn to be comfortable around people, especially strangers and authority figures, if he was going to get anywhere with his gift. It seemed a good deal.