Little Chick

Barnacles was very careful the next morning. He made certain Peso was still asleep before going to breakfast, hoping that when Peso woke up, he wouldn't do anything crazy.

Peso's eyes fluttered open. He rubbed them, and looked around. He was tucked up in the captain's bed. He frowned. Whether last night was a dream or not, it had been almost perfect. True, it had been scary, but it was the right idea.

The sound of the automatic doors opening drew his attention. Barnacles wandered in, with a tray of what looked like breakfast. "Oh, you're up. Good." He smiled at Peso. That's when Peso noticed the note on the table. It wasn't a dream, and now they knew.

They knew the awful, ugly truth.

Peso felt his stomach growl, but he stirred his oatmeal without taking a bite. Barnacles sat down next to him. "Peso...I can't imagine what it must be like to be you." Peso scoffed, thinking this was going to be one of THOSE talks.

Barnacles sighed, and pulled him into a hug. "Peso, I'm telling you the truth. I promise."

"No one ever keeps their promises."

Barnacles nuzzled the top of Peso's head. "You don't accept yourself for who you are. I know that. But, I think the best way to make things better, is too do what makes you happy."

Peso rolled his eyes. "Stop trying to make me humiliate myself." Barnacles tipped Peso's chin so he would look up at him. "I'll make you a deal." That seemed to trigger Peso's interest.

"I want you to be yourself. Do whatever makes you happy, dress however you want, the whole works. If we make fun of you, you don't have to talk to us, look at us, or deal with us ever again. If you wanted, we'd even take you home. Or, we'd find you a new home, where you'd be accepted." Peso raised an eyebrow. If he did what the captain asked, he'd finally see if his suspicions were correct. And, if they were, Barnacles was promising salvation from this never-ending nightmare.

"Deal."

Barnacles watched, to make sure Peso ate everything on his plate, and went to his room to get him some clothes. He pushed his regular cold suits aside, knowing that Peso would need to wear something he actually LIKED, as part of this arrangement. He found boxes of clothes Peso was too scared to wear, and produced a long-sleeved white dress with lace fanning out at the wrists, covered with pink roses. It was made of soft cotton, with anti-thermals sewn into it. it was perfect.

Peso's nose turned up at it, but he remembered his promise. He had to do things he actually liked. So, dreading the day ahead, he put the dress on, taking a moment to enjoy the feeling of safety and comfort it gave him.

Barnacles smiled when he saw Peso. It was like there was a glimpse of the real Peso underneath. And, besides that, he looked so adorable.

He took Peso's flipper, and cradled it gently in his large, thick-furred paw, and led Peso out into the den, where he'd set up a rug of soft padding for Peso to play on. Soft toys were scattered amongst it, waiting for Peso.

"Go on," Barnacles encouraged. "Go play." Peso gave him a suspicious look. Barnacles ignored that, and picked him up, placing him back down on the padding, in the midst of all the toys. A pink stuffed pony, larger than Peso, sat next to him. Barnacles knew Peso would want some privacy, so he left the room...and watched around the corner.

Peso looked about himself, and sighed. He was going to die anyway, so he might as well enjoy one last playtime. He hoisted himself up onto the pony, and happily stroked it's soft mane. That was just the beginning. Soon, he lost himself in the wonderful world of snuggles and make-believe. He'd never had so much fun!

Dashi wandered in, and immediately pinched herself to resist taking pictures. The time for that would come, but it wasn't today. Peso wasn't ready. If she took a picture, he'd think it was for blackmail. But, she couldn't help the 'aww' on her tongue. Peso was the cutest little thing she'd ever seen.

Peso didn't see her. He was too busy cuddling his teddy bear. Barnacles came from around the corner, and sat next to him, watching fondly. Peso ignored this, and nestled against a larger stuffed bear, feeling comfy and safe, more so than he had in years.

For lunch, Peso had a sandwich, and some milk in a sippy sup, and spent the afternoon playing games. He was having so much fun, he forgot all about being afraid.

That night, Barnacles tucked him in. It was basically unspoken. Peso was feeling better.

As the bear settled down on the edge of the bed to read Peso a bedtime story, he turned towards him. "Listen, Peso. I don't want you to be afraid anymore." His voice and face were etched with sympathy. Peso glanced down for a moment, before crawling across the bed, and settling in his lap. Barnacles smiled. He knew this was Peso's way of accepting the protection, and the promise of  secure, nurturing family environment.

Just what he needed.

"I'm never letting you get hurt again."