Little Captain

Barnacles shoved the papers into his drawer, trying to erase them from his mind. He didn't know how old he'd be when the Octonauts voyage ended, but it would have to wait until then.

Dashi sighed, standing in the doorway. "I don't see what's so wrong with it."

Barnacles did. He didn't have time. He was a captain. He had his crew t take care of.

It wouldn't be fair to a baby.

Dashi walked past him and gently removed he brochure from his grip. "I think it would be  a wonderful idea."

Barnacles narrowed his eyes, but said nothing.

"If you want a baby," Dashi continued, "I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it would be  great idea."

"Dashi, I just haven't the time."

The dog sighed, wishing the captain wouldn't be so hard on himself. "We'd help take care of it. And we'd look after the Octopod when you couldn't."

"Barnacles pursed his lips. He still didn't like the idea. Yes, he wanted to care for a baby--he would've loved one. But he didn't feel right bringing up one responsibility and throwing another away. He didn't want to inconvenience his crew.

And come on. He wasn't sure this was the best place for a baby to grow up.

Dashi took his face gently in her paw, and turned him to face her. "It's okay to want something for yourself."

Barnacles still wasn't sure. Dashi's eyes were full of comfort. "I'd go with you. You know the others wouldn't mind it. I think they'd love the idea."

Barnacles twisted the brochure in his paw. The front page depicted a stork logo for the nearest child adoption center.

But still. He already had a crew to take care of. It wasn't like adopting a pet.

Even if the others agreed, it would still be just as big a responsibility ass taking care of the ship and it's crew. He'd have to make sure to spend time with both. And what if this got in the way?

Dashi tried to comfort him. "I'm sure once you find the perfect baby, you'll forget all about that."

The next week, Dashi dragged him up to Happy Hearts adoption center, trying to ease his thoughts. 

"I still don't know if it's a good idea. It's not like picking a pet." Barnacles allowed himself to be dragged. Dashi giggled. "It's fine captain. I'm sure if one of us wanted to adopt a baby, you'd be all for it."

"Yes, but...is the Octopod really the best place to raise a child?"

"We raised the Vegimals there." Dashi pointed out. "It's like a house that just happens to be underwater."

"But---"

"We'll babyproof it and set up a nursery and things will be fine." Dashi assured him, practically pushing him through the door. "Just go pick someone out."

Barnacles sighed, and let himself in after her. Maybe it wasn't a bad idea. He trusted Dashi.

But he still had his doubts.

They were greeted by a smiling young woman who proceeded to lead them toward a pair of large pink doors, with yellow, heart-shaped handles. This was the room where babies lived.

"Each hallway is categorized by age group." She explained to them, opening the door and showing them inside. It was blue and pink and plush, and the floor was littered with baby creatures. And toys. Lots of toys.