Learning Truths and Getting Along

Warning - some strong language 

(Isabel's POV)

I had just gotten home, so I opened the front door, only to see my two kids, Ben and Anna. I received a big bone-crushing hug from both of them. I smiled back at them brightly, however my smile faded almost immediately when, much to my disappointment, I saw Jackie sitting on the couch, all the while smoking a cigarette. She was watching a tv show I don't think I'm familiar with, which was very loud and consisted of a lot of yelling. I am brought out of my trance by yelling and cheering as two my smiley faced children dragged me inside by the hand. They were yelling words but I couldn't tell what they were saying, so I just smiled back at them and nodded silently as they dragged me toward the living room. I was forced onto the couch, right next to Jackie while the kids calmed down. I looked over to Jackie, thought her head was leaned against the back of the couch so she could look up.

"What's going on, kids?" I asked quietly, taking my eyes off Jackie so I could look at the kids. They had wide grins on their faces, it almost resembles their father.

"We have decided that," Ben began, eyes moving toward Anna, as if asking her to continue what he was saying. Anna rolled her eyes in return and stared me dead in the eye.

"You two need to get along more!" continued Anna in an annoyed tone. Jackie groaned loudly, sinking further down onto the couch. "So you two are going to sit here and talk to each other for the rest of the day!" Jackie groaned very loudly as she moved over to the other end of the couch and continued to watch her show. Anna wasn't having it.
Anna quickly walked toward Jackie, almost running, before snatching the remote and turning the TV off.

"No TV until you two start to get along." Yelled Anna as she held the remote away from her. Ben laughed before grabbing Anna's arm and pulling her towards the stairs.

"Let's leave them alone and go play! I don't want to sit here and just watch them." Called Ben, Anna nodded in response before they both disappeared up the stairs.

The room fell silent. The only noise that could be heard was the kids' loud footsteps from upstairs and Jackie's breathing. I bit the inside of my cheek awkwardly while staring anywhere but her.
"Want one?" I looked over to see her holding out a pack of cigarettes in front of me. I was ready to deny the offer but thought better of it, as I was probably going to be there a while. I nodded, taking out a cigarette and taking the lighter that was held against the bottom of the box. I lit the cigarette and watched as she lit her with practiced hands. I took in a deep breath of the smoke before letting it out again, sighing in relief.

"So," Jackie began, quite obviously nervous, " How are you and Luke?" She didn't look at me. I couldn't quite see her face, but I could tell there was a look of jealousy, as I could hear it in her voice. I began to debate with myself in silence. I could either tell her the truth or I could add to that jealousy and piss her off more.

"Not so good." I responded miserably.

"Why?"

"It's just," I began, the tears stinging in my eyes. "I don't think he loves me like he used to. Whenever we go out, he's always looking at someone else. He's always hanging out with his 'work friends' and they don't even work with him! And I know for a fact that he doesn't have a meeting with his boss at 1 o'clock in the morning." I let out a pained laugh.

I took in another deep shaky breath of the smoke, relaxing slightly. When I looked up, Jackie had her eyes on me with a shocked expression. She then seemed to come back to reality and she moved next to me. She wrapped an arm around me, pulling me closer and whispering that everything was going to be okay. I couldn't tell if she meant anything she said or she was just taking pity on me.

This went on for a while before I pulled myself out of her arms, sitting sideways so I am facing her.

"Why do you care anyway? You wanted this!" I was frustrated. She now had a frown on her face.

"I never wanted any of this. I wanted to be happy, but I also wanted Luke to be happy. I don't hate you. I never have. I was always jealous of you because you took Luke, but I don't love him anymore. He went for someone new and I accepted that." She had an anxious look on her face along with a weak smile, " I have recently fallen in love with you."

My breath caught in my throat as she moved forward and pressed her lips to mine. I was frozen still for a few seconds before I moved forward and kissed her back. When we parted, she grinned at me with a stupid smile. I laughed at her before moving closer to her again.

"Fuck, I love you." She said before planting a quick kiss on my cheek. She pulled away quickly, staring at me once again. "I'm sorry for the way I've been acting lately. Love makes you do stupid things." I laughed at her again before planting another kiss on her lips.

"I love you too," I responded with a large smile on my face, "But what about Luke? He's going to be pissed when he finds out!"

"Luke can go fuck himself." I laugh at her response.

Then everything froze when I heard a loud giggle.

"Ben, look! They're getting along." 

I hope you enjoyed it. I'm sorry it took so long to write but I'm in the middle of my exams right now. Please send in more suggestions. I will write anything. Thank you all for reading and have a nice day.

bye