Interlude Chapter - Dodgeball

A/n:

This chapter is disconnected from the overall plot, but if you want a reference, it's set in the two weeks between the midterms and the school trip. I had a blast writing this one as it has a lot more action than normal. I hope you enjoy it!

...

Y/N POV:

Our classes had ended. However, we couldn't yet leave school. And by we, I mean the quints and Fuutarou. Since I live quite close to school, if I was feeling brave enough, I could face the torrential storm falling outside. But I don't have an umbrella, and staying here with them seems more entertaining than going back home.

We were standing on the second floor of the school's entrance, watching some students enter their parent's car only to be stuck in traffic not a minute later.

"Bad news, girls." Ichika said, "Ebata-san had to pick dad for an emergency. With this storm, it's going to be at least half an hour before he'll get here."

"That's typhoon season for ya." Nino sighed, "What are we supposed to do while we wait?"

"Let's study. We can anticipate a session this way."

Except for Itsuki, we all looked at Fuuratou with as much dismay as our faces could express.

"Why are you looking at me like that? What else is there to do?"

"I have a better idea." I said, "Nino owes me a game of dodgeball. We can hang out at the gymnasium and play until the storm passes."

"Yes! That sounds like fun. I'm in." Yotsuba said.

"But... I'm bad at sports." Miku said.

"It's not a sport. It's a game. Think of it this way, you get to take revenge on Fuutarou for making your study so much."

"I'm in." Nino, Ichika and Miku said in unison.

"W-Wait! I'm bad at sports as well!" Fuutarou said, "If I join, I'll be destroyed by them."

"We'll take care of that when we're balancing the teams. C'mon, Uesugi-san! It'll be fun."

"But, but... ugh, Itsuki, help me out here."

"Me? I uh... Uesugi-kun might have a health condition. I've never seen him in P.E."

"No, he doesn't." I said, "I helped him forge a certificate so that he could study during P.E."

"Y/N-kun!" He looked at me like I had just incriminated him.

"What? It's true." I shrugged, "You don't have a condition. Just an excuse."

"Fine. I'll join. But I'll let you know that I'll be a terrible teammate."

"No problem. Just like Yotsuba said, we'll balance the teams around each of our strengths and weaknesses. Itsuki, are you in?"

"I guess..." she timidly said.

"Excellent. Let's go to the gymnasium then."

...

The area of the school where the gymnasium had no sign of life. The students who were still at school were busy doing club activities in their classrooms, so the chances we'd be asked to leave were slim to none. There was one problem, though, if you can call it a problem.

The whole gymnasium was packed with gymnastics equipment. Stuff like training mats, pommel horses, vaults, and boxes.

"Cool. This would only be better if we were playing paintball."