Chapter 24 - Misunderstandings

Nino's POV:

I knew he was up to something. One of his little plans again, no doubt. Sometimes I get the feeling that he acts suspicious on purpose just to get to me. And if that's the case, it's working flawlessly.

Whether or not he had planned on me seeing him was beyond me, but since he went through all the trouble of walking me to my dorm, I'm not going to head out again just to satisfy my curiosity. Not at this hour anyway. If we were camping in the wilderness, I could use the excuse that I was worried about his safety, but this is not the case.

Without much to do other than wondering, I went to sleep.

I woke up to the girls getting ready to head out. We would go skiing today right after breakfast. Although this implies a 40-minute trip to the nearby ski resort, the prospect of spending an entire morning and the beginning of the afternoon playing in the snow sounds really fun. Or at least I thought.

We made our way to the camp's cafeteria, and as we did, I noticed there was some tension in the air between the other four. The time I've spent with Y/N yesterday left me out of the loop from any happenings, and when I finally got to bed they were already asleep. I'll... ask them on the way there. I hope everything is ok.

The tables at the cafeteria could accommodate at most 4 people, so we had to split up. As the ever so kind and benevolent sister that I am, I offered to be the one who sits at some other table. Fortunately, they managed to get a table not too far from where Y/N-kun and Uesugi were sitting at so we'd still be only a few feet away from them.

I approached the two of them, noticing how both were casually talking to each other while also focusing on their own things. Y/N-kun had his laptop open on a weird coding software while he wrote on some worksheet that appeared to mix chemistry with trigonometry somehow. As for Uesugi, he was working on a physics worksheet from one year ahead of us. As the girls and I got closer, their conversation became more discernible from the generic chatter from the student's around us. Of course, being more discernible doesn't mean it actually made any sense.

"...I can't believe the school is using the term 'centripetal acceleration'." Uesugi said.

"You expect them to throw the concept of instantaneous tangential velocity at high schoolers because of a technicality?"

"No, but at least don't give them false information! Things only accelerate on straight lines, not in a curve. They're giving them the wrong idea."

"...Really dude? Even physicists use the term centripetal acceleration for convenience."

"Stop talking about maths this early in the morning. It's making my head hurt." I said, sitting down by Y/N's side.

"Morning." He said, turning to me with a neutral expression as I kissed him on the cheek.

"Oh, you two are..." Uesugi began.

"No." We both said.

"Okay." He said defensively, turning his attention back to the worksheet.

"So..." I said, "Are you sitting with me on the bus today?"

He stayed silent, looking a bit hesitant to answer my question. The way Uesugi looked at us didn't give me much confidence about the coming reply.

"I'm not going." He said.

"...What?"

For some reason, his reply didn't come as a surprise, but it certainly did come out impactful.

"I'm sorry. There's just no way that I can do everything I need to do today and go skiing as well."

"W-What do you have to do?" I asked, still feeling disheartened.