Prologue

•Seventeen Years Ago•

•••

Everyone around the world knew that Aria Romano, The Italian Mafia Donna, was pregnant. The infamous queen and ex-assassin was pregnant with twins. They were excited for her, and they were anticipating the twins arrival, as was the family.

Her husband, Alessandro, was getting tired of all the boys in the house, and he was pretty sure they were too. They wanted someone to protect, what they've wanted to do for their entire life. That's why they decided to keep the genders a secret from the children until the twins were here, which would bring all the more surprise.

Aria was laying down in their master bedroom, like she had been for the past couple days. Everything was getting harder to do with her stomach in the way. She couldn't go on missions even though she desperately wanted to, and that annoyed her. She didn't like being lazy, but Alessandro was adamant on her resting.

As she watched a show on their tv, her contractions kept getting worse. At some points they'd only last about a minute and then she'd have fifteen minutes between them to rest until they continued. But the span of them was getting more and more persistent, and she knew the twins would be coming soon.

More children were being brought into the life of danger, to train and later become the danger.

Right when she was going to call for her husband, he walked into the master bedroom to check on her. "We need to go to the hospital, Ale." She told him with utter certainty.

He knew the drill so he grabbed his phone while simultaneously grabbing for the bag of necessities they'd need. After only a minute on the phone with their personal doctors, he was heading down the the east wing of the house with Aria bridal style in his arms.

Once they got to the room, he placed her down onto the bed and watched as the doctors and assistants ran around the room, hooking her up and getting her ready for labor.

After having seven children, Aria knew exactly what happens when someone has a child, and she hated the aftermath of it all. The healing, the gentleness of her husband, her dependency on him, etcetera. But she also loved the process of raising her children independently when she had the time.

She cherished and savored her alone moments with them.

•••

After seven hours of consecutive pushing, she finally had both of her twins laying on her chest. They were precious, just like anyone would say about a newborn.

Her gaze barely wavered from their first girl, neither had Alessandro's. He picked up his eighth son, Xavier Erebus Perseus Romano. He rocked the baby as he sat down into the chair besides the bed. Xavier had a head full of black hair and when he opened his eyes, ocean blue stared back at Alessandro. He had gotten his fathers eyes, and not the beautiful color of gray his wife had.