-The Vanishing - PT. 1-

❗️TW: Panic Attack❗️
⚠️ = start/end of triggered scenes

Alarms blared, footsteps quickened, and the staggered breaths of the scientist echoed through the hallways as he ran for the exit. Stopping at a door, he pushed the button next to it repeatedly.

He couldn't stop, not to think, not to rest, not at all. He was still being chased by whatever that creature was. He couldn't afford to lose any time.

The alarms around him rang repeatedly and flashed their bright red lights, signaling an emergency. The sweat the man had built from running made his clothes stick to his body uncomfortably, although he paid no mind to it.

He breathed out joyfully for a moment when the elevator doors opened, no sign of the monster. Sprinting in quickly he pressed the button to take him to the upper floors of the building. His eyes stayed focused on the hallway, praying that the monster wouldn't come running down.

The sound of the large mechanical doors shutting put his mind at ease. That is until he heard a loud rumble from above him. Looking slowly his eyes met the face of the monster.

In seconds he felt its large claws wrap themselves around the skin of his neck. And with a brutal force he was pulled up into the creature's mouth. And with a final loud,

Clang

The elevator doors shut.

«Reader's POV»

"Something's coming. Something hungry for blood."

Looking up from my book, I see the boys leaning anxiously towards their gaming table as Mike read their story for the campaign, I had forgotten what this one was about, the imaginary characters and stories all too much for me to remember.  Even so, I smiled a bit at how engrossed they all were with their fictional game.

"A shadow grows on the wall behind you, swallowing you in darkness. It is almost here."

There was a tense pause in the air before Will asked,

"What is it?"

"What if it's the Demogorgan? Jesus we're so screwed if it's the Demogorgan!"

"It's not the Demogorgan!"

I lightly chuckled at Lucas' banter, earning a small side glance from Will. Although he turned away immediately once I met his eyes. Mike lifts a couple of pieces and slams them on the table,

"An army of Troglodytes charge into the chamber!"

The three sigh in relief and Dustin chuckles, amused,

"Troglodytes?"

"Told ya."

I watch as they all laugh, a calming silence filling the room for a couple of seconds. I take this opportunity to go back to my book. Although, I couldn't focus on the context of my book anymore, my thoughts elsewhere. What would it be like to play with them?...

"Wait a minute. Did you hear that? That- That sound..."

"Boom...boom...Boom!"