3 - It's Not Easy

"Look who we have here, the man of the hour," she says with an evil smirk. You stop warming up and stare her in the eye.

"What do you want, Amanda?" you ask in a deadly quiet voice. Normally you aren't a scary guy, but this bitch pisses you off on sight.

"Just seeing how my abusive ex-boyfriend is doing without the light of his life," she giggles, subtly flashing those faked bruises at you. God, you wanna deck her so badly. Unfortunately, there are people looking. If you even touch her your life is as good as over.

"I never mistreated you once. Why did you do it?" Your voice breaks slightly as you deliver your sentence. It only causes Amanda's smile to widen.

"To think I ever thought dumping you was a mistake. God, I don't even see why ruining your life was necessary... you're pathetic all by yourself," Amanda replies, wrinkling her nose at you before turning on her heel. As she walks away, all you can think about is the wedding ring she never got to see.

[A FEW DAYS LATER]

The days of hard work and heartbreak pass quickly but painfully. By the time Sunday rolls around, you're more than ready to get back to work. Stephanie has even contacted you with information on your upcoming storyline.

They've already admitted that the only way to fit you back in is to have the allegations against you be expressed in a back-and-forth rivalry with Seth Rollins. Well, that could almost be a good time.

Colby is good at his job; one of the best, in fact. However, he's also a pretty understanding guy. He has already promised not to go too off the rails with anything unless you say so, despite you telling him to absolutely obliterate you on the mic during his promos.

Sunday night arrives in an instant, and you receive a text while dinner is in the oven.

Lexi: how come u didn't tell me about ur rivalry with Colby?!?!

You: didn't think you'd care

Lexi: of course I care! What are friends for?

You: true true. Sorry Lexi

Lexi: you better be. Cya tomorrow!

You: ight pipsqueak, cya then

Alexis doesn't reply, so you shut your phone off and go finish dinner. It's weird to think that she cares that much about your return. Or maybe she doesn't care about it at all and is just happy you're back on your feet. Either way, the conversation bounces around in your brain for the rest of the night.

[THE NEXT MORNING]

Your alarm wakes you, signalling the beginning of the day. It's like a little clock has started in your head, deafeningly ticking on until the start of tonight's show. You're going to open the show with a promo, and it's gonna have to be a damn good one to justify being on TV. Most of the fans want you fired, and based on their available information you can't blame them.

But it'll be their hate that drives you through what will no doubt be an epic promo, and what could be an insane rivalry with one of the best to ever do it: Seth Rollins. You've been a heel before; surely you can do it again? Just thinking about the weeks ahead is nerve-wracking... this isn't going to be easy.

The morning chugs along at an agonizingly slow pace, but finally you head out to catch your plane. Lucky for you, the show is only a few hours away via plane, so you arrive in town by mid-afternoon. After booking a hotel for the night, it's off to the arena with you.

Upon arrival, you notice a large crowd of fans gathered who are waiting for the show to begin. The sight of it brings a smile to your face. People can say what they want about professional wrestling, but it undoubtedly has one of the most loyal and dedicated fanbases of any sport (even if it's only kind of a sport).

You slip inside unnoticed and make your way into the men's locker room. A few guys are in there, and they all look at you with uncertainty. None of them even know what to think.

"Fuck, don't all welcome me back at once," you joke, and it seems to ease them a bit. Your fellow superstars return to their business as if you're not even there.

Guys. Gotta love 'em.

As you set your bag in one of the lockers, the door opens and someone says your name excitedly. You turn around and there's Colby, who looks pumped that you actually showed up.

"Man, it's so nice to finally see you!" he says with a grin, wrapping you in the manliest of hugs.

"Same here, brother. It's good to be back in action," you reply, a smile spreading across your face as well. For the first time since Amanda walked out, you feel okay. Happy isn't the word for it, but at least it's better than feeling like a piece of shit that developed sentience.

Before you have a chance to catch up properly, Joe also walks up to welcome you back. You bump his fist and joke, "Hey Roman, after I squash ol' CrossFit Jesus over here I'm coming for that belt!"

"Ha. On the odd chance you manage to survive the rivalry with Colby, there ain't no way in hell you're gonna topple me and the boys."

"Save the promos, big guy. You're gonna need them for right before I take that WWE Championship!"

The three of you talk for a while, just catching up on things that have been happening. Apparently, not much has happened with anyone since you left, but that doesn't prevent the conversation from going on for an hour.

Around 4:30 is when you decide to go see who else is around. All of your coworkers know about your return by now, so it could be fun to see who is happy your back versus who wants your head on a platter.

The first person you come across is CJ Perry, the blonde beauty known as Lana. The two of you have never truly interacted before, but that doesn't stop her from checking you out. The way she eyes you up and down reminds you of a dog looking at a steak. Complete conviction.

The only thing she has to say is this, "My my... didn't think you'd show, Y/N."

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Amanda, of course. Thought her little tantrum would have put you away, but here you are."

"You don't believe her, do you?"

"Of course not, I know a lying bitch when I see one. Yes, I'd say you dodged a bullet with that one." The seductive smile she shoots your way makes you uneasy, but then she follows it up by walking away. There's something odd about that woman, but it doesn't really worry you. At least she is another person who believes you and not Amanda.

That being said, it is time to get ready and sit around until the show starts. The less of a chance you have of crossing paths with your ex, the better.